Re(1): Slavery Days
IP: 69.69.60.85

Usually the last names are clues to the slave holder. She may have changed it when she was emacipated. Depends on how she was treated. The 1850 census has slave schedules. Ancestry.com has low cost subscriptions and is a breeze to research the census. They also have a 14 day free trial, just don't forget to call and cancel it before the 2 week period is up. You can go by county and state then just type in the last name and see if anything comes up for 1850.
See if you can find her after the emacipation on the 1870 census. She may have stayed in the area where the farm was. Definately start searching where you find her. Sometimes there were published books of slave "sales" that listed the name. Slaves were often listed as "goods" to be passed down to children. If you find suspected farms or plantation owners, check the local records. Most libraries have genealogical rooms with local records.
State Archives are invaluable as well.
Don't give up. I had a mulatto friend in church whose ancestor was the same
last name as mine and from the same town. We call each other cousin. I was
able to find his family on the 1870 Georgia census, and luckily found a slave owner with the same last name. It
was really pretty simple. Not everyone has it so easy. This person probably was a cousin to my line. It makes you realize we are all God's children!

Replies:

You must register before you can post on this board. You can register here.

Post a reply:
Username:
Password:
Email:
Subject:
Link URL:
Image URL:

Create Your Own Free Message Board or Free Forum!
Hosted By Boards2Go Copyright © 2000-2015
Our Sites: Wedding address collection  Wedding thank you wording