Articles listed do not imply endorsement of content. While every care has been taken to ensure the accuracy of the contents of the web site, Somaliland Cyberspace cannot accept liability for errors or omissions or any loss arising therefore, however caused. In addition, opinions expressed in the articles appearing here are those of the writer(s) and do not necessarily reflect the views of the site editor. They are included in our material as a reflection of a diversity of views and a variety of issues. If you have an issue with a posted material, please contact the source.

Somaliland Cyberspace News Board

News Board archives May 2009 - Jan 2010
News board index
Go to home page

Set up your own free board. Just add water!

News briefs and videos
IP: 216.207.146.26

Does moderate Islam exist? A reply to John Guardiano

Palestinian anger spills onto East Jerusalem streets

IslamOnline website in crisis as employees in Egypt stage sit-in, over move to hard-line Islam stance

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/mar/16/egypt-islam-online-crisis-workers-protest

Anwar Awlaki Urges Jihad Against US

March 17, 2010
Yemeni-American Anwar Awlaki is the leading English language al Qaeda internet recruiter and propagandist. In a new audio he urges American Muslims to commit jihad against the US and he says the US is withholding Nidal Hassan's emails because the US is trying to convince the American public that it was an individual act. US officials confirmed to CNN that American Sharif Mobley left the US to seek out Awlaki in Yemen and found him
London, England (CNN) -- American-born Muslim cleric Anwar al-Awlaki is calling for jihad against America, claiming "America is evil" in a new audio message obtained exclusively by CNN.
"With the American invasion of Iraq and continued U.S. aggression against Muslims, I could not reconcile between living in the U.S and being a Muslim, and I eventually came to the conclusion that jihad against America is binding upon myself just as it is binding on every other Muslim," he says in the recording that runs more than 12 minutes.
Al-Awlaki is believed to be hiding out in hills of southern Yemen with the protection of his very powerful family tribe.

The New England Jihadis

An excellent report by American for Peace and Tolerance on the Boston blogger and would-be jihad Tarek Mehanna.

IRAN PROTEST IMAGES IN TRIBUTE TO NEDA

Interview With Fiancee of Murdered Iranian Protester Neda

Der Spiegel
Journalist Caspian Makan, 38, was the fiance of Iranian protester Neda Agha Soltan, who became the icon of the protest movement after her murder during a demonstration in Tehran on June 20. He was arrested following the protests and only released from Tehran's notorious Evin Prison after his family put their house up as bail collateral. He later fled the country through Turkey. Today he lives as a political refugee in Canada.

Tarek Fatah: “She (Aisha) could have been between 19 and 21…”

Wafa Sultan said at the conclusion of the Q & A:

"I'm not speaking up against Islam to please anyone but my conscience. We suffer a lot under Islamic Sharia. It is not fair. Enough is enough. We need to live our lives as human beings. I want you to know I'm not here to incite anyone against Muslims. Muslims are my family: my Mom, my brother, my sister. You know, I cannot peel off my own skin. I feel sorry for them because they are victims of a very hateful ideology. Really, if you take a look at any Islamic country, what do you see? Nothing but miserable situations, especially women who are living in this society. So I am speaking up to save them, looking for a better future for them. And believe it or not, when it comes to my readers in the Arab world, I feel it is easier for me to address my thoughts than to penetrate the Western mind. People in the West live by the Western ethical code which doesn't allow them to judge people based on their religion - and there's nothing wrong with that-but they need to know that Islam is not merely a religion: it is also a political ideology and that's what I am fighting. That's what I am speaking up against. And I hope one day, the future for our generation in the Muslim world will be much better than the life I lived under Islamic Sharia in Syria."

Read more: http://network.nationalpost.com/NP/blogs/fullcomment/archive/2010/03/12/counterpoint-tarek-fatah.aspx#ixzz0iTmBqp5M

Mohamed cartoonist Kurt Wesetrgaard speaks on appeasement and self censorship

| March 16, 2010

Kurt gives an unusually good interview here on his concerns especially since he was attacked by a Somali with an axe not long ago.

Malaysia's religion minister rejects child marriage reform

As always, what's standing in the way here is Muhammad's own example -- a "beautiful pattern of conduct," per Qur'an 33:21. Muhammad married Aisha when she was six, and consummated the marriage when she was nine. For this cleric, condemning child marriage would thus run the risk of implying Muhammad did something wrong, or that his example is less relevant for Muslims in modern times. In a land where churches are firebombed over the use of the word "Allah," one can imagine there being some fallout over that.
In any event, keeping the status quo on child marriage laws lets the Sharia-inclined have it both ways: there is a symbolic law on the books for the sake of appearances, but a religious loophole to get around it in practice.
"Malaysian minister rejects child marriage reform," from Agence France-Presse, March 16:
KUALA LUMPUR -- Malaysia's religion minister on Tuesday defended Islamic laws that allow girls under 16 to marry, amid a controversy over two youngsters who were married off to middle-aged men.

The issue has flared in Malaysia after reports that two girls aged 10 and 11 were wed in the conservative northern state of Kelantan last month. They have now been removed from their husbands.

Rights groups have called for the reform of Islamic laws that allow marriage under the age of 16 if religious officials give their consent. Sharia law runs in parallel with civil law in multi-ethnic Malaysia.

"There is no need to amend the law," Jamil Khir Baharom, a cabinet minister in charge of religious affairs, told reporters.

"The law already exists... marrying someone aged 16 and below requires the consent of the court. The court does not simply grant the consent," he said.

"Maturity is a subjective question. It depends on the development of the person. Maturity is not based on age solely."

But 11 years old is 11 years old.
Pressure group Sisters in Islam has called for an end to child marriages, saying the practice was "unacceptable" but continued in Malaysia because of a "belief that Muslim girls can be married off once they reach puberty".

"The minimum age of marriage for Muslim girls must be raised to 18 to be in compliance with the Child Act which defines children as those below the age of 18," it said in a statement.

Other citizens in the multicultural country -- where the population is dominated by Muslim Malays -- are not permitted to marry before the age of 18.

Malaysian authorities are investigating the case of the two girls in Kelantan, both linked to a man who is accused of leading an Islamic cult.

He is accused of marrying the 11-year-old girl and giving away his 10-year-old daughter to a family friend.

Sharia court officials told the New Straits Times Tuesday the 11-year-old's marriage was not approved in court.

But if it had been, a grown man's marriage to an eleven-year-old could have been quite alright under the law.
The girl was found outside a mosque in the nation's capital over the weekend and is now being treated in hospital.

Women, family and community development minister Shahrizat Abdul Jalil has spoken out against the practice.

"A child of that age does not have the choice or capacity to give her full consent and, as such, child marriage is viewed within the context of force and coercion," she said in a statement to AFP.

http://www.jihadwatch.org/

Replies:
There have been no replies.

You must register before you can post on this board. You can register here.

Post a reply:
Username:
Password:
Email:
Subject:
Link URL:
Image URL:

News Board archives May 2009 - Jan 2010
News board index
Go to home page

Create Your Own Free Message Board or Free Forum!
Hosted By Boards2Go Copyright © 2000-2013
Our Sites: Wedding address collection  Wedding thank you wording