Re(3): Thornton by pocklington Blanshards IP: 188.8.131.52 Posted on September 22, 2010 at 09:32:43 AM by Colin Blanshard Withers
The steps to find any parish registers or BTs filmed by the Mormons are these:
1. Go to main site: http://www.familysearch.org/eng/default.asp
2. On the Search Records tab, click on Library Catalog
3. On the menu on the right, click on Place Search.
4. Type in the Place search box the name of the parish, in this example, Thornton
5. From the list of matches choose the one you want, in this example, Thornton (near Pocklington)
Note: Thornton near Pocklington is not the name of the parish, it is simply 'Thornton'. The LDS have added (near pocklington) to distinguish it from other parishes of the same name.
6. Now click on Church Records, and a list will appear of what they have. You will see that BTs for Thornton, 1602-1848, are held. Click on this link to see what format they are held in.
7. You will now see that the BTs are in microfilm format. Now click on the View Film Notes button at top right of screen.
8. Print this page. It contains the years for which BTs have survived, and the FHL British Film number, this is the number used for ordering the film at your local FHC.
If you want to know what years are covered for any parish in the IGI then at step 6. choose Church Records Indexes instead. Then click on the Computer Printout link, and you will get the batch numbers for the indexes, which can be used for searching or browsing an entire parish, and under the View Film Notes button you will find the years covered in the IGI.