Welcome to mrjeffrey.com's Message Board. Beginning on March 19, 2009, you must post your first and last name, as well as the school you attend or for which you teach in order to use this message board. Otherwise, your post will be deleted. :)
Assignment 16: Anticipation Guide, Part III FOTHOU
IP: 76.174.219.49

Ashley Van Ommen
Mr. Jeffrey
English III-P, Period 3
12 March 2012

Assignment 16: Anticipation Guide, Part III FOTHOU
After reading "The Fall of the House of Usher" one of my beliefs really changed. Before reading I believed that symbols didn't play a signigicant role in the lives of people from all cultures around the world. Now however, I believe differently. Throughout the whole novel there are many symbols that represent many things. Actually, the symbols tell the same story but in a completely different way. These symbols exist and occur in evertyday life. Symbols can be traced back to the beginning of civilization. There are three types of symbols. The three types are contextual, freudian, and archetypal. Archetypes are symbols that can be found on every continent and can be traced back to the beginning of life. Contextual symbols are symbols that have a certain type of meaning that relates to its context. This means that the meaning of the symbol can change. Lastly, Fruedian symbols are symbols that have a sexual connotation. These symbols are found in everyday life. I think that I didn't believe symbols were important because I never recognized them before or put them into much consideration. Symbols can be found all over the world. For example, there are plenty of symbols in our dreams eery night. These symbols can help one depict their unconscious ming and help them cope with what they do not want to face when they are conscious. In my opinion symbols can tell a story of their own in a very interesting way. For example, while reading The Fall of the House of Usher I drew out the house the narrator described and just from drawing it out you could tell exactly what the story was about with just one look at the drawing and not even reading the novel. If you think about it we encounter symbols multiple times of day. Such as the American flag which symbolizes freedom or a wedding ring which represents marriage. Now I know we all knew what these things meant but honestly we never knew why they symbolized it or even thought about it. Symbols are often overlooked but once you do realize them it's almost like they open your eyes to a whole new way to looking at the world. Not only are symbols in books and life, but they occur all the time in movies. I would have to say that there are at least a couple symbols in every single movie made.

Replies:
There have been no replies.

Post a reply:
Name:
Email:
Subject:
Link URL:
Image URL:
Check this box if you want to be notified via email when someone replies to your post.

Create Your Own Free Message Board or Free Forum!
Hosted By Boards2Go Copyright © 2000-2015
Our Sites: Wedding address collection  Wedding thank you wording