Welcome to mrjeffrey.com's Message Board. Beginning on March 19, 2009, you must post your first and last name, as well as the school you attend or for which you teach in order to use this message board. Otherwise, your post will be deleted. :)
Los Osos Assignment 16 anticipation guide
IP: 74.100.117.15

Max Ding
Mr. Jeffrey
English III-P, Period 3
12 March 2012

Assignment 16: Anticipation Guide Part 3
Fear can be a greater danger to a person’s well being than an actual danger can be to a person’s well being because the mind controls the body. Such as, in the Fall of the House of Usher, it was fear that caused the narrator to be summoned to the aid of Roderick Usher, also because Roderick Usher’s fear of his sister’s death, he becomes mentally unstable. For example, Roderick states “I shall perish; I must perish in this deplorable folly. Thus, thus, and not other wise, shall I be lost. I dreamt events of the future, not in themselves, but in their results, I shudder at the thought of any, even the most trivial, incident, indeed, no abhorrence of danger, except in its absolute effect- in terror” (Poe 480-481). In this quote, Roderick tell the narrator that he fears more of the fear of the future than that of the future itself and that he is losing his mind as he says, I must perish. Roderick thinks that he will die in the near future from his fears. Fear itself changes people, for example, the fear of being robbed makes people do things that people without these fears would not do. Such as, a person with these fears may carry harmful objects on them to protect themselves from a fear that they may be hurt, even though those harmful objects can cause them more harm than that of an actual robbery. It is not fear itself that causes the harm to a person but the act of protecting him or her from that fear that often ends up hurting him or her. However, fear can also kill as shown by the passage which states “For a moment she remained trembling and reeling to and fro upon the threshold—then, with a low moaning cry, fell heavily inward upon the person of her brother, and in her violent and now final death-agonies, bore him to the floor a corpse, and a victim to the terrors he had anticipated” (493). Roderick finally faces the fears that he had before and dies, not from his sister physically falling on him but, of the fear that he felt. Fear can dictate how the body acts and reacts; in this case, Roderick’s body gave out under the stress of his mental fear. One reason why this occurred is that Roderick was on the brink of insanity, about to lose his mind, and the body can not live without the mind. Therefore, when Roderick saw his ‘dead’ sister, he lost his mind and thus, his body died has his mind did. Fear can reign supreme over the body and if not fear itself than the act of hiding from the fear will do more damage to the body than not having the fears will. Many think that fear can be hidden but fear is that of the unconscious, therefore I can not really be hidden or prevented, just tolerated. But hiding from the fear will inevitably be worse than facing the fear.

Replies:
There have been no replies.

Post a reply:
Name:
Email:
Subject:
Link URL:
Image URL:
Check this box if you want to be notified via email when someone replies to your post.

Create Your Own Free Message Board or Free Forum!
Hosted By Boards2Go Copyright © 2000-2015
Our Sites: Wedding address collection  Wedding thank you wording