Welcome to mrjeffrey.com's Message Board. Beginning on March 19, 2009, you must post your first and last name, as well as the school you attend or for which you teach in order to use this message board. Otherwise, your post will be deleted. :)
Letter to Ms Doyle
IP: 163.150.137.112

Dear Ms. Doyle,

When I decided to sign up for American Mosaic, I did not know what to expect. I knew that, as a class, we were to talk about America’s melting pot, how this quilt of cultures is what defines us, binds us; I also knew that these distinctions, our differences, is also what keeps us apart. After your lecture, I knew we would address issues deeper than what can be seen from the surface.
I realized that, as educated individuals, we can deracinate our own prejudices and challenge these assertions. Your discussion on unconscious bias made me aware that such a task was possible. Even though we may live a life never completely expulsing prejudice (as we are forever imperfect), I am comforted to say that I have learned more about tolerance.
But only time could answer my questions regarding my own culture. I am an American; my ethnicity is Filipino. And to this day I have never felt like I could be both. The Filipino culture is rich in its family life, which is something I take pride in and is a gift I am blessed with. I love Filipino food; I love many little aspects of its way of life. But sometimes, I do not feel like I completely belong. It’s not something I can talk about more insightfully because I don’t even know how to describe it. It leaves me feeling as if I have to ignore both sides of me in order to feel like I am not… split.

I know it takes time to consider these feelings and thoughts. But most importantly, I am thankful that you encouraged me to begin this journey of ‘asking’ and ‘answering’ in my own little way.

Sincerely,
Larissa Gamalinda

Replies:
There have been no replies.

Post a reply:
Name:
Email:
Subject:
Link URL:
Image URL:
Check this box if you want to be notified via email when someone replies to your post.

Create Your Own Free Message Board or Free Forum!
Hosted By Boards2Go Copyright © 2000-2015
Our Sites: Wedding address collection  Wedding thank you wording