Welcome to mrjeffrey.com's Message Board. Beginning on March 19, 2009, you must post your first and last name, as well as the school you attend or for which you teach in order to use this message board. Otherwise, your post will be deleted. :)
"It is better to die for what you believe in rather tham to lie to save your life."
IP: 99.119.245.24

The crucible. Anticipation/reaction guide.
By:Whitney Kidwell.

The quote of "It is better to die for what you believe in rather tham to lie to save your life," is a very true statement. Many people get walked on daily because they do not stand up for themselves or for what they believe in. Personally, if I believe in something, I'm going to stand up for it reguardless of whom is around. To let someone talk down on something you believe in is disrespectful to your ownself, and to what you believe in. As a child I was always taught to stand up for myself, and what I believed in. In the era that I've grown up in it has been acceptable to stand up and express my beliefs on a subject due to the democratic relationship I have with my parents. They listen to me, and respect my opinion reguardless if it varys from their opinions.Generations ago, such as when my Mamaw was being raised, the children of that time period were not aloud to stand up for what they believed in, let alone disagree with their parents on their beliefs. The relationship between them was authorative where parents had all say. Since the times have changed, the world itself has become more open to hearing what everyone has to say.
For example, in genral society most rappers are black and there was never really a big bi-racial deal until a white rapper named Marshall Mathers,also known as Eminem began rapping.He began rapping at age 17, and was judged by many because of the color of his skin. Rapping was Eminem's passion and he wanted to make a career out of it. When he first started out rapping many people made fun of him, because of his life style and skin color. Wearing holy clothes, working at a factory and living in a trailer in Dertroit, Michigan. To many he looked like a joke. Eminem took many physical beatings from people because they wanted him to give up on his dream of rapping. Eminem stood for what he believed in though, even though people disapproved of him. Which took a lot of courage for him to do. One of my favorite quotes from Eminem is "You've got enemies? Good that means you've actually stood up for something in your life." Which is the main reason I've mentioned Eminem. He stood up for what he believed in, which is something that everyone should do.

Another person in this life who has stood up for themselves when their life was at stake was Mrs.Rosa Parks. "On December 1, 1955, Rosa Parks, a 42-year-old African American woman who worked as a seamstress, boarded this Montgomery City bus to go home from work. On this bus on that day, Rosa Parks initiated a new era in the American quest for freedom and equality. She sat near the middle of the bus, just behind the 10 seats reserved for whites. Soon all of the seats in the bus were filled. When a white man entered the bus, the driver (following the standard practice of segregation) insisted that all four blacks sitting just behind the white section give up their seats so that the man could sit there. Mrs. Parks, who was an active member of the local NAACP, quietly refused to give up her seat. When a white man entered the bus, the driver (following the standard practice of segregation) insisted that all four blacks sitting just behind the white section give up their seats so that the man could sit there. Mrs. Parks, who was an active member of the local NAACP, quietly refused to give up her seat. Her action was spontaneous and not pre-meditated, although her previous civil rights involvement and strong sense of justice were obvious influences. "When I made that decision," she said later, “I knew that I had the strength of my ancestors with me.” She was arrested and convicted of violating the laws of segregation, known as “Jim Crow laws.” Mrs. Parks appealed her conviction and thus formally challenged the legality of segregation. At the same time, local civil rights activists initiated a boycott of the Montgomery bus system. In cities across the South, segregated bus companies were daily reminders of the inequities of American society. Since African Americans made up about 75 percent of the riders in Montgomery, the boycott posed a serious economic threat to the company and a social threat to white rule in the city." What Rosa did this day is still recognized for today. She stood up for herself and the fact that she had every right to set in that seat just as much as the white man did. She knew she could have died, that she could get beaten to death but she didn't care. She stood up for what she believed in, which is something everyone should do. (Ford.)

Many people know who Martin Luther King Jr. is. "One of the finest orators and civil rights leaders of the 20th century, Martin Luther King, Jr. did much to change the United States’ policy on racial discrimination. After helping to launch the Civil Rights Movement by heading the 1955 Montgomery Bus Boycott, King founded the Southern Christian Leadership Conference, a black religious organization that directed nonviolent protests against segregationist authorities throughout the 1960s.The zenith of Dr. King’s career came on August 28, 1963 with his “I Have A Dream” speech, given at the March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom. On the symbolic steps of the Lincoln Memorial, King spoke to 200,000-300,000 dissidents and millions of television viewers, rallying for a world free of prejudice in which people would not be “judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.” Dr. King’s historic speech was a major deciding factor in the passage of the National Voting Act and Civil Rights Act. For his part in advocating racial harmony and equality through nonviolent means, King became the youngest ever recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize in 1964. Although an assassin lamentably cut his momentous career short in 1968, Martin Luther King, Jr. and his words continue to inspire the oppressed everywhere." Martin Luther King Jr. was killed while in the middle of his "I have a dream," speech. Although he was killed, he died still believing in what he had always believed in, which was that everyone should be treated as equal. He stood up for what he believed, which is somthing everyone should do. (Johnson.)

Standing up for what you believe in is it what everyone should do. Reguardless if your life is in danger or not. What you believe in is what makes you who you are and you should never let someone take that away from you, ever. If it's an important part of your life, don't let someone walk over you like it doesn't bother you. Stand up for what you believe in, even if you stand alone.

"Rosa Parks Bus." Rosa Parks Bus - The Story Behind the Bus. The Henry Ford, 2002. Web. 11 Nov. 2012. <http://www.thehenryford.org/exhibits/rosaparks/story.asp>.
Johnson, Robyn. "10 Revolutionary Acts of Courage by Ordinary People." Matador Network. N.p., 15 Sept. 2008. Web. 11 Nov. 2012. <http://matadornetwork.com/bnt/10-revolutionary-acts-of-courage-by-ordinary-people/>.

Replies:
There have been no replies.

Post a reply:
Name:
Email:
Subject:
Link URL:
Image URL:
Check this box if you want to be notified via email when someone replies to your post.

Create Your Own Free Message Board or Free Forum!
Hosted By Boards2Go Copyright © 2000-2015
Our Sites: Wedding address collection  Wedding thank you wording