Blanchard Family History Society
Forum

VC
IP: 2.28.184.97

Hi Colin
I just got the message below from an internet pal who sends on anything about Blanshards that he comes across and I wondered if it rang any bells with you?
regards
Christine Cook

I dunno if this is of any interest or relevance, but I've just spotted the noble name Blanshard mentioned in the Pock local rag headlines.
See the reference to a Harry Blanshard Wood from Newton-on-Derwent, being awarded both the VC and Military Medal in 1918
(http://www.pocklingtonpost.co.uk/news/local/campaign-underway-to-honour-first-world-war-hero-in-wilberfoss-1-5691729)

I wondered if 'Blanshard' came from his mum's maiden name? The 1901
census* does indeed list an 18-year-old 'Harry B Wood', born in Newton, so that could well be him. That would make him mid-30s in 1918, although quite possible.

Free BMD has his father being John Wood from Newton, mother Maria Nichol Dey from Escrick, having married in 1882, so no clues there as to where Blanshard came from.

Harry's elder sister had been widowed by 1901, but her married surname was Davis, so no apparent link there either.

Do you come from a family of war heroes?

* (I don't have access to the 1911 census - but I know a woman who
does...)

Regards

Young John

--

Replies:
    • Re(1): VC -

Post a reply:
Name:
Email:
Subject:
Link URL:
Image URL:
Check this box if you want to be notified via email when someone replies to your post.

Top of Page

crest Blanchard Family History Society crest

Create Your Own Free Message Board or Free Forum!
Hosted By Boards2Go Copyright © 2000-2015
Our Sites: Wedding address collection  Wedding thank you wording