Welcome to mrjeffrey.com's Message Board. Beginning on March 19, 2009, you must post your first and last name, as well as the school you attend or for which you teach in order to use this message board. Otherwise, your post will be deleted. :)
Of Mice and Men Anticipation/Reaction Guide
IP: 50.136.111.103

Courtney Vogel
Mrs. Stanton
English 9
7 November 2014
Of Mice and Men Response
“Being rich is more important than having close friends.”
Due to tradition and society’s standards, people strive for wealth and richness. This perspective, that having money and material items is good and improves the satisfaction in our lives, motivates people to prioritize valuing and achieving wealth. But does having money really make someone rich? Although money is vital in our world today, it does not mean it is one of the most important factors. For example, having true, close friends is worth more than all the money in the world. Money is only capable of buying tangible items, i.e., clothes, makeup, houses, etc. While those things can bring a person much joy and temporary happiness, they cannot aid a person in the emotional or sentimental way a friend can. A true friend will constantly support, encourage, and fully love and accept someone for who they are through good and bad times. Moreover, friends love each other because they choose to, not because they would benefit from the relationship. In other words, it is better having true friends in your life that you are close to rather than worrying if they tolerate you solely for access to money. Creating memories with close friends that you can always keep with you, is more valuable than wealth with cannot buy trust, respect, love, and much more. A perfect illustration of this is the fact that our family had money to pay for my grandmother’s recent funeral. However, that money will never be able to fill the emptiness in my heart from losing not only my grandmother, but a close friend. My life and her life were richer having each other verses any amount of money. Furthermore, “If you want to feel rich, just count the things you have that money can’t buy,” (proverb). Having life-long close friends would always be at the top of that list. Society establishes in people’s minds that our culture is materialistic, teaching us to want the expensive things we see in the world, yet that mindset does not guarantee happiness. However, there are better things than being rich. Friendship, love, integrity and generosity are at the top of the list.

Replies:
There have been no replies.

Post a reply:
Name:
Email:
Subject:
Link URL:
Image URL:
Check this box if you want to be notified via email when someone replies to your post.

Create Your Own Free Message Board or Free Forum!
Hosted By Boards2Go Copyright © 2000-2015
Our Sites: Wedding address collection  Wedding thank you wording