Whortleberry Press
Re(4): The long silence...

Dear Marian,
Golly I am sad that our prices are driving people away. I don't know how to cut them any lower. Here is how we arrive at our prices:
-- $10 to the writer
-- whatever Lulu charges us for printing, and they calculate that per page
Adding those two numbers together, and you get our price. I have wondered how some indy presses can charge less -- and I finally found out. By reading their contracts carefully, I have learned that they promise their writers that they will be paid -- AFTER the book has sold "x" number of copies, or earned "x" number of dollars. With that kind of plan, I think we can say their writers are working for free.
IMO that is not right. I am ashamed to pay our writers so little, but at least they are getting _something_ which -- again IMO -- recognizes them as professionals. Poorly paid professionals, yes, but professionals.
But please offer my apologies to the people you know who were priced out of the Bradbury book. I think the reason it was kind of expensive was because we received so many fine stories, the page count ran somewhat higher than usual. Alas, I should have rejected some -- but could not make myself do it.
So sorry.
-- Jean

Replies:

Post a reply:
Name:
Email:
Subject:
bold italic underline left align right align center align url email image move quote horizontal rule

Link Name:
Link URL:
Image URL:
Check this box if you want to be notified via email when someone replies to your post.

Looking for a good book? Find it here!
Create Your Own Free Message Board or Free Forum!
Hosted By Boards2Go Copyright © 2000-2015
Our Sites: Wedding address collection  Wedding thank you wording