Derek Harrison's Crossword Message Board

Please do not discuss (or even mention) current puzzles until after the solution is published. The moderators reserve the right to delete messages which do not have a valid Email address.

Message Board Rules

Re(2): Listener 4353:A Ghost Story by KevGar
IP: 90.198.134.96

As someone who never had Latin classes ever, I had to rely instead on the experience of reading/ watching Yes Minister, where it was explained that "Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes" is usually and inaccurately translated as "Beware Greeks bearing gifts". Inaccurate of course because "Timeo" is the first person singular for "I fear". Also it's Latin, and not Greek, because "the 'os' ending is a nominative singular termination of a second declension in Greek and an accusative plural in Latin." Or something.

But anyway I thought the puzzle was quite fun, if a bit of a pain trying to track down the specific quote for a while. In (my edition of) ODQ there were something like 40 quotes from Virgil's Aeneid, and the relevant one was half of a larger quote, so it was easy to miss the first several times through, looking for a complete but short-enough quote. Wasn't troubled by the typo "ferentes/ ferentis" because it was spelled correctly in the aforementioned TV show.

Replies:

Post a reply:
Name:
Email:
Subject:
Link URL:
Image URL:
Check this box if you want to be notified via email when someone replies to your post.

Create Your Own Free Message Board or Free Forum!
Hosted By Boards2Go Copyright © 2000-2015
Our Sites: Wedding address collection  Wedding thank you wording