Derek Harrison's Crossword Message Board

Please do not discuss (or even mention) current puzzles until after the solution is published. The moderators reserve the right to delete messages which do not have a valid Email address.

Message Board Rules

Re(3): Listener 4354: Taxi! By Ilver
IP: 85.210.22.239

Like Derek, I remember the previous Listener puzzle on the same 1729 theme.
Like Andy, I too am a non-mathematician.
Having completed the initial grid and seen the formula, I then assumed that some advanced mathematics would be required in the end game, and gave up on the spot, cursing at how the crucinumeralists are slowly insinuating themselves into the 48 puzzles a year that are meant to be for us loyal cruciverbalists. Can anyone tell me WHEN the "four numbers ones a year" actually started ?

Equally can anyone tell me who was the first setter to introduce the "message made from redundant letters in wordplay", which now seems to be the norm in over 75% of puzzles ?

I remember the good old days of Dimitry, Sabre and Arcturus ... puzzles with novel and brilliant concepts, where you didn't have the millstone of needing to solve all clues before you knew how to enter answers into the grid.

Sorry if this sounds like a Monday Moan, but it is !

Replies:

Post a reply:
Name:
Email:
Subject:
Link URL:
Image URL:
Check this box if you want to be notified via email when someone replies to your post.

Create Your Own Free Message Board or Free Forum!
Hosted By Boards2Go Copyright © 2000-2015
Our Sites: Wedding address collection  Wedding thank you wording