Derek Harrison's Crossword Message Board

Please do not discuss (or even mention) current puzzles until after the solution is published. The moderators reserve the right to delete messages which do not have a valid Email address.

Message Board Rules

Listener 4358: The Other Letter by Wan
IP: 78.149.7.140

Wan has very quickly become one of the setters whose next puzzle I await with eager anticipation. I was not let down; this latest offering gave me a real buzz.

First and foremost, the clues. The puzzles I enjoy most are ones where I almost forget the thematic elements and become engrossed in a good old-fashioned tussle between setter and solver. Wan's clues here were a fantastic challenge; tough, entertaining, yet scrupulously fair. I found myself scratching my head at regular intervals until an "aah" greeted the unravelling of another piece of wordplay or definition. Time after time I was amazed to find a meticulously faithful Chambers definition expertly woven into the clue.

Good deployment of a very simple theme too. The words formed from the clues were well-chosen to disguise things for a good while and it was remembering "drumbledor" as an alternative for dumbledore that did it for me.

As is often the case in this type of puzzle I messed up the tallying of the extra letters and I ended up looking for a representation of G in the grid. Took a while to realise I needed to re-check my work and even then the BEE was well hidden with some carefully chosen birds and a good few red herrings in the grid - or should that be red shanks?

Certainly the puzzle I have most enjoyed solving this year - after all, who doesn't like a bit of the other?

Bravo Wan - excellent stuff!

Replies:

Post a reply:
Name:
Email:
Subject:
Link URL:
Image URL:
Check this box if you want to be notified via email when someone replies to your post.

Create Your Own Free Message Board or Free Forum!
Hosted By Boards2Go Copyright © 2000-2015
Our Sites: Wedding address collection  Wedding thank you wording