Whortleberry Press
Re(1): Your thoughts on the essay?

I'm going to disagree with the essay because one like it gets written every decade or so. You can look back to the Nineteenth Century and find essays decrying the anti-intellectualism of everybody. I'm old enough to just barely remember a book titled Why Johnny Can't Read that came out in the Fifties and also articles that said comics and cartoons meant children were growing up illiterate. And jump ahead a few decades from there when the lamentations over how children weren't reading were suddenly drowned out by the spontaneous success of the Harry Potter series - Long, complicated novels which children were devouring. And right now there's a science fiction novel that began as chapters on the author's blog that were popular so he self published, was such a success that publisher picked him up and now it's a movie. I refer to The Martian by Andy Weir - and it's hard science fiction. I enjoyed it despite not getting a lot of the science.

Replies:

Post a reply:
Name:
Email:
Subject:
bold italic underline left align right align center align url email image move quote horizontal rule

Link Name:
Link URL:
Image URL:
Check this box if you want to be notified via email when someone replies to your post.

Looking for a good book? Find it here!
Create Your Own Free Message Board or Free Forum!
Hosted By Boards2Go Copyright © 2000-2015
Our Sites: Wedding address collection  Wedding thank you wording