Derek Harrison's Crossword Message Board

Please do not discuss (or even mention) current puzzles until after the solution is published. The moderators reserve the right to delete messages which do not have a valid Email address.

Message Board Rules

Listener 4362: Spots by Colleague
IP: 180.180.2.157

On the whole I enjoyed this puzzle, which had a nice set of well-constructed clues. The unusual clue gimmick was a source of some trouble as my correction to RAVE in 34d was RIVE, giving me a final J, but it didn't hold me up long because I'd already decided on John Aubrey.
However, I was perplexed by the endgame. I found Stonehenge easily, then spent ages looking for the rest, which I'd assumed would be in a circular arrangement, as per the holes at Stonehenge. Eventually I spotted EAGLE, which confirmed what I'd earlier considered, namely that 54 holes might represent three rounds of golf. After finding the rest of the thematic material I failed to see why it was in the shape of a rhombus, and why a rhombus should be considered "thematically placed arrangement." Perhaps somebody could explain.

Replies:

Post a reply:
Name:
Email:
Subject:
Link URL:
Image URL:
Check this box if you want to be notified via email when someone replies to your post.

Create Your Own Free Message Board or Free Forum!
Hosted By Boards2Go Copyright © 2000-2015
Our Sites: Wedding address collection  Wedding thank you wording