Derek Harrison's Crossword Message Board

Please do not discuss (or even mention) current puzzles until after the solution is published. The moderators reserve the right to delete messages which do not have a valid Email address.

Message Board Rules

Listener no. 4365: General Intelligence by Calmac
IP: 5.62.2.7

Like Shirley on Fifteensquared, my first thought was that the grid seemed a little strange for a Listener with so many unchless entries and a couple with double unches. I found the clues quite easy, which was perhaps just as well as there were a lot of them. I liked the gimmick in the clues which I took to be thematic in the sense that the letters were in the centre of the clues as were the captives in their captors. I was pleased that the quote became evident after just a few letters though as it could have been a pain counting all the letters.

I was guided by the dearly-missed Radix so I have very Ximenean views on grids but I find it hard to back up my objection to double unches. Of the two entries with double unches FR??CE only has one possibility and RE??SH doesn’t leave many options. They could certainly have been made more difficult with ‘standard’ unching, but it just doesn’t look right does it?

Replies:

Post a reply:
Name:
Email:
Subject:
Link URL:
Image URL:
Check this box if you want to be notified via email when someone replies to your post.

Create Your Own Free Message Board or Free Forum!
Hosted By Boards2Go Copyright © 2000-2015
Our Sites: Wedding address collection  Wedding thank you wording