Derek Harrison's Crossword Message Board

Please do not discuss (or even mention) current puzzles until after the solution is published. The moderators reserve the right to delete messages which do not have a valid Email address.

Message Board Rules

Unchless entries
IP: 95.63.108.21

My apologies, in my post above I meant to refer to Shirley’s blog on Listenwithothers not Fifteensquared.

With regard to Jason’s query on unchless entries, the section in Ximenes’ book referenced in the Guidelines for Setters says ‘Every word should have at least one unch, so that it won’t solve itself without being able to say to the solver “You must look at my clue before your finish me”’. It is quite normal, however, to see a few unchless entries in a Listener grid and Ximenes himself might have had to resort to a few had he being trying to hide a mass of thematic material in his grid, as this one had. There were 20 entries without unches and I think that it would have been possible to finish the puzzle without solving 12 of those clues. I am not suggesting that this made the puzzle any less enjoyable, I was just saying that my first thought was that together with the double unches they made the grid seem strange for a Listener.

Replies:
There have been no replies.

Post a reply:
Name:
Email:
Subject:
Link URL:
Image URL:
Check this box if you want to be notified via email when someone replies to your post.

Create Your Own Free Message Board or Free Forum!
Hosted By Boards2Go Copyright © 2000-2015
Our Sites: Wedding address collection  Wedding thank you wording