Derek Harrison's Crossword Message Board

Please do not discuss (or even mention) current puzzles until after the solution is published. The moderators reserve the right to delete messages which do not have a valid Email address.

Message Board Rules

Georgie
IP: 80.6.0.221

I am posting this on behalf of Joyce Aspland. While doing so, I would like to thank Joyce for such a lovely post, which gives us more insight into what a good friend Georgie was.

Joyce had added her email address, but I am not sure about including it in the body of the message. If anyone does wish to contact Joyce, I will happily forward emails (unread by me) to her if you send to me via the message board.

“As one of Georgie’s oldest friends, I know how touched, gratified, and possibly surprised, she would have been by all the well-deserved tributes to her posted on this message board.

She and I became friends some 40 years ago when she still lived in Fulham and discovered we both enjoyed cryptic crosswords; then we branched out into the thematics, and she soon became a frequent Listener solver. When I stayed with her in Suffolk we spent many happy hours tackling the Listener, often to a background of music — ranging from Queen to early classical, and always Bach’s Christmas Oratorio at that time of year.

I would retire to bed, leaving her still at it, only to find in the morning her entry already in an elegantly addressed envelope and my scruffy attempt still awaiting inspiration.

Of recent years she had been in poor health, and then housebound, unable to have people to stay any more, but her life was enriched and enlivened by her friendship with Trevor, whose death earlier this year was a great sadness to her.

I have delayed posting this message because of uncertainties concerning her funeral; but now find she left clear instructions which means that it will be a private affair attended by those closest to her, with the minimum of ceremony.

Please feel free to contact me if you wish, either via the message board, or at [… see above]

Replies:
There have been no replies.

Post a reply:
Name:
Email:
Subject:
Link URL:
Image URL:
Check this box if you want to be notified via email when someone replies to your post.

Create Your Own Free Message Board or Free Forum!
Hosted By Boards2Go Copyright © 2000-2015
Our Sites: Wedding address collection  Wedding thank you wording