Derek Harrison's Crossword Message Board

Please do not discuss (or even mention) current puzzles until after the solution is published. The moderators reserve the right to delete messages which do not have a valid Email address.

Message Board Rules

Re(2): Listener No. 4367: Identity Crisis by Sabre
IP: 210.50.76.132

I'm not the solver i was. (Maybe never was.) So, having cold-solved only about two thirds or so of the clues, i abandoned the puzzle. Then, at the beginning of the third week I idly played with SQUIRT, QUARTERMASTER (fairly certain that the top row was S) and THEGNS. Of the four possible positionings of SQUIRT, one gave, on the third row xxxxxxxxAxxE. I tried UNFATHOMABLE, and was away - though not at a canter, more a stroll. I can't remember what it was that enabled me to google Sterne (Tristram S was a prize in 1951, my final school year), but I was able to place UNCLE TOBY and was eventually able to backtrack and solve all my unsolveables. Got my submission off with not much time to spare. A Sabre solved! A truly brilliant grid (how long did its composition take?), with the symmetry of the final five words, the double evolution of THC, very impressive. I felt my time well spent (I haven't always this year).
Two bits of trivia: Neither my iPhone nor my iPad Chambers app has an entry for ere(2), though both have ere(1). An inexplicable failing. This held me up (though I should have consulted my hard copy).
Did anyone else notice that googling four of the phrases brings up a passage from 'Pride and Prejudice', though they are not contiguous, of course, in Austen.

Replies:

Post a reply:
Name:
Email:
Subject:
Link URL:
Image URL:
Check this box if you want to be notified via email when someone replies to your post.

Create Your Own Free Message Board or Free Forum!
Hosted By Boards2Go Copyright © 2000-2015
Our Sites: Wedding address collection  Wedding thank you wording