Derek Harrison's Crossword Message Board

Please do not discuss (or even mention) current puzzles until after the solution is published. The moderators reserve the right to delete messages which do not have a valid Email address.

Message Board Rules

Listener 4369, Golf... by Xanthippe
IP: 125.27.57.72

As golf is not my scene I thought I was in for a lot of Googling, but the rules were clearly explained, and the puzzle could be solved without additional references. I was fairly confused at first by the mismatches between crossing answers, and got a bit bogged down. The first PDM was that Holes answers all had O and T, then the second PDM was where the O and T should be placed, after which things became much easier.
I thought it was a really nice puzzle, pitching setter against solver in more ways than one. it was decent of Xanthippe to let the solver win, but I wasn't surprised by the result. I did triple-check to make sure I hadn't made an error. Sustaining the theme in the golfing clues was very clever. I pondered the significance of the extra words for a couple of days before I saw what was spelled by the initial letters - the final PDM, and my thoughts on golf 'to a tee'.

I was slightly puzzled by the inclusion of 10 in the grid. There was no ambiguity as far as I could see, so it didn't seem necessary.
I wonder if Xanthippe now holds the record for the longest Listener preamble?
Thanks, Xanthippe.

Replies:

Post a reply:
Name:
Email:
Subject:
Link URL:
Image URL:
Check this box if you want to be notified via email when someone replies to your post.

Create Your Own Free Message Board or Free Forum!
Hosted By Boards2Go Copyright © 2000-2015
Our Sites: Wedding address collection  Wedding thank you wording