Derek Harrison's Crossword Message Board

Please do not discuss (or even mention) current puzzles until after the solution is published. The moderators reserve the right to delete messages which do not have a valid Email address.

Message Board Rules

MONTGOLFIER clue comp
IP: 81.141.94.197

If you haven't already done so, do study the results of the latest competition. I entered a clue by Ximenes, which got nowhere and, which as I have described in the comments, was a landmark in my solving experience. Two solvers criticised it as defining a verb, but of course the pronoun was to be understood elliptically and this is perfectly sound (if a pronoun had to be nominated it would have to be 'one' to cover two senses, but the absence of a pronoun gives a naughty and legitimate sense of ambiguity).To make matters worse the winning ( I at first mistyped sinning) clue uses 'first made' for 'm', a real no-no for any discerning Ximenean judge. I fear that the democratisation of clue competitions doesn't always help to keep clue-writing standards as high as they should be!

Replies:

Post a reply:
Name:
Email:
Subject:
Link URL:
Image URL:
Check this box if you want to be notified via email when someone replies to your post.

Create Your Own Free Message Board or Free Forum!
Hosted By Boards2Go Copyright © 2000-2015
Our Sites: Wedding address collection  Wedding thank you wording