Welcome to The X-Files Lost and Found Board.

Having trouble remembering the title or author of a fanfic? Search for it here. Are you a wealth of fanfic knowledge? Please, share it.
But when you post a request, PLEASE be specific in the subject line. Title, author, or genre of fic will narrow down the search and direct
people who may know what you're looking for. Generic or vague "Looking for a fic" subject lines are not helpful, as that's all we do here.
And while off topic posts are allowed, we'd all appreciate an OT in the subject line so we know you're not asking a fic question.
It's all about the fic, so it's all good. Thank you for your co-operation.

And don't forget to check out The Board Guidelines!

OT: The ads may be a continuing problem

I contacted the board host and according to him we've used up all of the 10K impressions I bought on Nov. 2! =8-O I don't understand how 10,000 people could have seen a quarter of a page-worth of posts in less than a month, but that's what he says. It's possible that the site counts bots and web spiders, too, but unless everyone is visiting 100 times a day, I can't figure it out. I hate to voice the thought that these bots could be coming from the site host to run up our numbers but hey, this is an X-Files board! Conspiracies are what we do here. Right? ;-)

This could become a huge problem, folks. Not buying more impressions means intrusive banners and visual junk for those without an ad blocker. Ad blockers work great, there are very good free ones (Ad Block Plus is my personal favorite), and I urge y'all to get one, but not everybody wants them and I don't want anyone to feel they can't come here because they don't have one. But the cost to keep the ads off the board could run over $1200 a year since they're not even lasting a month anymore.

With what was donated previously, I can get another 30K impressions. Maybe that will hold off the ads through the holidays unless the bots get worse. I was expecting to only need to buy more every 3 months or so, but now that doesn't look like it's going to be feasible.

So that's where we stand, denizens. Input and discussion are welcome.

Replies:

Post a reply:
Name:
Email:
Subject:
Link URL:
Image URL:
Password To Edit Post:
Check this box if you want to be notified via email when someone replies to your post.

The Gossamer Project|Ephemeral|The Annex: X-Files Novel Archive
Homestead Author's Pages|Xffics Author's Pages|X-Files on Live Journal
X-Files Fanfic Lost and Found Message Board FAQ

Smiley Key

Email Administrator
Create Your Own Free Message Board or Free Forum!
Hosted By Boards2Go Copyright © 2000-2015
Our Sites: Wedding address collection  Wedding thank you wording