Derek Harrison's Crossword Message Board

Please do not discuss (or even mention) current puzzles until after the solution is published. The moderators reserve the right to delete messages which do not have a valid Email address.

Message Board Rules

Re(1): Listener 4371 Our Announcer by Ploy
IP: 78.32.181.23

Another Listener I should have done :(

The Pompey Chimes!

As you know, most Guildhall clocks etc. (and a lot of old wind up clocks - I have my Grandparents 8 day wind up clock that does the same made 100 years ago) copied (or was it a standard of timimg?) the chimes from Westminster tower (now called Elizabeth tower) with the gongs from big ben.

The history of the Pompey chimes comes from years ago when all football games started at 3 o'clock on a Saturday afternoon. As the Portsmouth Guildhall clock can be heard from Fratton Park (near where I live), the referee would want unil the chimes stopped (Play up POMPEY, POMPEY, play UP!') - then blow the whistle to start the game on the first GONG.

When I was in Montreal, and stumbled into a square, the church clock played the Pompey Chimes - I sang along and all the Canucks looked at me like I was an idiot. Heh.

Great stuff.

Nick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwSQZZA4IJA

Replies:

Post a reply:
Name:
Email:
Subject:
Link URL:
Image URL:
Check this box if you want to be notified via email when someone replies to your post.

Create Your Own Free Message Board or Free Forum!
Hosted By Boards2Go Copyright © 2000-2015
Our Sites: Wedding address collection  Wedding thank you wording