Derek Harrison's Crossword Message Board

Please do not discuss (or even mention) current puzzles until after the solution is published. The moderators reserve the right to delete messages which do not have a valid Email address.

Message Board Rules

Listener No. 4378: Present Day by Horvendile
IP: 95.63.108.21

This seemed to me like an impossible task at first. It also seemed to me that it would be pointless solving any clues other than those affecting the Playfair table as the others wouldn’t help in the slightest if we couldn’t crack the code. Some of those critical clues I found ‘just happened’ to be the hardest ones to solve in the puzzle. In fact it took me several hours to solve them with GODIVA holding me up longest, though looking at it afterwards I can’t understand why. Once I had those I found it fairly straightforward to crack the code, though I was held up again briefly by forgetting that we should take the same row first in rectangles of a Playfair table and not go clockwise from the first letter – I think it was L and T that drove me nuts. After that it was a long, but enjoyable, exercise solving the rest of the clues and encoding the answers as there were a lot of them.

I know from experience that with such a large grid and so many clues, the clue lengths have to be kept short (most would have had to fit one line in the paper), so with that in mind I thought they were excellent. If this was a debut it was a seriously impressive one. In fact is was a seriously impressive puzzle in any case. Thanks very much.

Replies:

Post a reply:
Name:
Email:
Subject:
Link URL:
Image URL:
Check this box if you want to be notified via email when someone replies to your post.

Create Your Own Free Message Board or Free Forum!
Hosted By Boards2Go Copyright © 2000-2015
Our Sites: Wedding address collection  Wedding thank you wording