Derek Harrison's Crossword Message Board

Please do not discuss (or even mention) current puzzles until after the solution is published. The moderators reserve the right to delete messages which do not have a valid Email address.

Message Board Rules

Listener 4380: Stomach by MynoT
IP: 101.109.150.166

I thought this was a really enjoyable puzzle. I found filling the grid quite tricky and didn't attempt it until I had solved almost all the clues. My method was possibly the reverse of what was intended since I worked out the message before filling the grid. I was helped in this by my recollection of a similarly structured Magpie puzzle by MynoT in which a hidden message contained the word 'symbols.' Initially I lacked the Y because I hadn't managed to parse the clue to BREW. Once I got that, I saw 'Symbolise clashes' as a possible message. Grid construction then became pretty straightforward, and the last answers that had eluded me fell into place.

I then agonised for a couple of days over what to use to replace the clashes, graphic symbols (neither new nor scientific) or IAU abbreviations. I convinced myself that IAU abbreviations could be regarded as symbols, so was drawn to those, but I was sure the setter intended graphic symbols as in his Magpie puzzle - so much more satisfying. I plumped for that in the end, but I see both options were accepted, which is only fair and proper.

It's a pity that the hidden message and/or preamble weren't worded slightly differently to ensure a set of graphic symbols was the only option, but these issues are sometimes difficult to foresee.

I never managed to work out the title. Perhaps somebody could explain. I hope I haven't missed the blindingly obvious.

Thanks MynoT for a challenging puzzle.

Replies:

Post a reply:
Name:
Email:
Subject:
Link URL:
Image URL:
Check this box if you want to be notified via email when someone replies to your post.

Create Your Own Free Message Board or Free Forum!
Hosted By Boards2Go Copyright © 2000-2015
Our Sites: Wedding address collection  Wedding thank you wording