Derek Harrison's Crossword Message Board

Please do not discuss (or even mention) current puzzles until after the solution is published. The moderators reserve the right to delete messages which do not have a valid Email address.

Message Board Rules

Re(6): Listener No. 4384: XL by Harpy
IP: 125.27.54.91

I agree that it was a very fine Listener that I found quite a challenge, especially when it came to some of the Group B clues and determining the theme.

I don't see that people need agonise over the removal of the connected cells or the omission of the letters, though I confess to doing so before I posted my entry. The preamble specifically allows for alternative methods of removal, so cutting out the central column by whatever method, rather than folding, seems legitimate. I forgot to scan my entry before posting but after attempting to fold it I think in the end I cut down one side of the central column and stuck one half of the grid over the other to conceal the column. Since the preamble refers to 'the removed phrase', not 'the concealed phrase' how on earth could anyone omitting the letters from that column be marked incorrect? If so, what on earth's the point of writing the phrase below the grid?

There seems to be a perception in some quarters that JG is looking for reasons to mark an entry as incorrect, whereas I've always found the marking to be scrupulously fair.

Replies:

Post a reply:
Name:
Email:
Subject:
Link URL:
Image URL:
Check this box if you want to be notified via email when someone replies to your post.

Create Your Own Free Message Board or Free Forum!
Hosted By Boards2Go Copyright © 2000-2015
Our Sites: Wedding address collection  Wedding thank you wording