Derek Harrison's Crossword Message Board

Please do not discuss (or even mention) current puzzles until after the solution is published. The moderators reserve the right to delete messages which do not have a valid Email address.

Message Board Rules

Re(3): Azed 2,281 - a questionable clue?
IP: 62.60.8.100

This is a clue of a self-referential type that seems to be unique to Azed, in which the solver has to know the answer in order to be able to figure out how the wordplay works. I'll admit it's not one of my favourite clue types, but fortunately it's not one that Azed uses all that often. I first encountered it in #1519 in July 2001 with the clue "Undine's ill after swallowing this!" to UNINFLATED. The giveaway that something extra-strange is going on is the italicised 'this' and the exclamation mark, but still it's the sort of clue that could cause the unwary a lot of head-scratching. Indeed, it seems to have baffled even the venerable Dr Watson, as you'll see in his review below. Azed himself responded to criticism of this clue in the slips for #1519 and #1524.

Dr Watson's review of Azed #1519

Replies:

Post a reply:
Name:
Email:
Subject:
Link URL:
Image URL:
Check this box if you want to be notified via email when someone replies to your post.

Create Your Own Free Message Board or Free Forum!
Hosted By Boards2Go Copyright © 2000-2015
Our Sites: Wedding address collection  Wedding thank you wording