Derek Harrison's Crossword Message Board

Please do not discuss (or even mention) current puzzles until after the solution is published. The moderators reserve the right to delete messages which do not have a valid Email address.

Message Board Rules

Re(5): Listener No. 4388: Cycle 20% More by Smudge
IP: 125.27.60.75

Much the same experience as the above solvers. After about four hours I had seven clues solved, all but one being across. I agree with John that some of the clues were near impenetrable, especially those with very oblique definitions. After further slog I began to suspect the method of entry of the downs, and made better progress thereafter.
I enjoyed it in the end and did manage to unravel all the clue gimmicks, but it was a hard-fought battle that I wouldn't want to be engage in again for a very long time, and I suspect that many solvers will have given up early on because of the struggle to get anything in the grid. I almost fell at the last hurdle because I couldn't find Lorne in my edition of Bradford's, nor by searching 'sausage' in my computer version of Chambers (admittedly an old edition). I eventually saw it in a very long Wikipedia list, though I'm not sure that Lorne on it's own denotes the sausage.
I agree with Russ that many of the clue surfaces were very shaky, so the clues themselves didn't give a lot of pleasure, even if the theme and the thematic endgame did.

Replies:

Post a reply:
Name:
Email:
Subject:
Link URL:
Image URL:
Check this box if you want to be notified via email when someone replies to your post.

Create Your Own Free Message Board or Free Forum!
Hosted By Boards2Go Copyright © 2000-2015
Our Sites: Wedding address collection  Wedding thank you wording