Derek Harrison's Crossword Message Board

Please do not discuss (or even mention) current puzzles until after the solution is published. The moderators reserve the right to delete messages which do not have a valid Email address.

Message Board Rules

Listener 4389 - Teeing Off by Nutmeg
IP: 125.27.32.215

Nutmeg's elegant clues were a delight. The clues to BRUNEI and GRANDER were particular gems for me, but there were many others. The entry method wasn't immediately obvious; I guessed BIFURCATION for the left-hand column but RIGHT ANGLES was obscured because I'd entered ROSILY incorrectly for 44a. Initially I split ROSTRA and others into three-letter entries, but ran into problems somewhere and had to re-think. The light dawned not long after.

A classic Listener, needing nothing but Chambers to solve it. The Listener editorial notes for setters includes the following: "The essence of a Listener crossword is elegance and subtlety of theme and clueing, not difficulty per se." Nutmeg's puzzle fulfils that requirement beautifully.

Replies:

Post a reply:
Name:
Email:
Subject:
Link URL:
Image URL:
Check this box if you want to be notified via email when someone replies to your post.

Create Your Own Free Message Board or Free Forum!
Hosted By Boards2Go Copyright © 2000-2015
Our Sites: Wedding address collection  Wedding thank you wording