Derek Harrison's Crossword Message Board

Please do not discuss (or even mention) current puzzles until after the solution is published. The moderators reserve the right to delete messages which do not have a valid Email address.

Message Board Rules

Re(2): Listener 4394 Against Expectations by Duck
IP: 101.109.159.229

I disagree that what is referred in the above posts as a 'weakness' is any such thing in this puzzle. The rogue clues were 'rogues' - they posed as normal clues, even to the extent of having extra letters in the wordplay. Therefore they fooled solvers into solving them or attempting to solve them as normal clues, but that's not how they actually worked, and it matters not one jot if a solver failed to get the false answers. In any puzzle in which entries differ substantially from answers it's inevitable that some solvers may not solve every thematic clue. It's not a weakness of the puzzle.
I disagree even more strongly with Gail's suggestion requiring solvers to show they had gor the 'wrong' answers. It would be grossly unfair for two reasons. Firstly, that would amount to asking solvers to get the answer to a clue with no checked letters at all (100% unchecked!); secondly, some of the normal clues are not entirely unambiguous regarding the extra letter (eg 32a); these ambiguities can be resolved by the messages. But if the sequence of extra letters is meaningless how does a solver know he/she has the right one?

It was an excellent puzzle with some first-rate clues (wonderful surface in 20d). I did think that the number of thematic items in the grid was a tad sparse, but a couple more might have presented major constructional problems, and there was enough pleasure to be got from the clues and the gimmicks.

Replies:

Post a reply:
Name:
Email:
Subject:
Link URL:
Image URL:
Check this box if you want to be notified via email when someone replies to your post.

Create Your Own Free Message Board or Free Forum!
Hosted By Boards2Go Copyright © 2000-2015
Our Sites: Wedding address collection  Wedding thank you wording