Derek Harrison's Crossword Message Board

Please do not discuss (or even mention) current puzzles until after the solution is published. The moderators reserve the right to delete messages which do not have a valid Email address.

Message Board Rules

Re(3): Listener 4397: We'll always be together
IP: 125.27.43.166

I thought it was a lovely puzzle. There were, admittedly, ambiguities in the endgame, but I trusted common sense would prevail when It came to the marking. I was going to place the two objects on the ground but then decided against that for the reason Gail gives. L & S didn't seem quite right scientifically, but what other single-letter alternatives are there? I couldn't think of any that would be entirely satisfactory, so I was happy to allow the setter some licence.

I think the setter deserves applause for representing several aspects of a complex theme in the way he did. My main criticism was nothing to do with the theme's realisation but with the clue to 1ac. I don't see how 'demise' can indicate the last letter. The synonymity between 'demise' and 'end' is in respect of death. If anything, 'demise of MEL' should mean the deletion of MEL. It's a bit like indicating L by "Mel's target" on the grounds that 'target' and 'end' are roughly synonymous in some contexts.

Replies:

Post a reply:
Name:
Email:
Subject:
Link URL:
Image URL:
Check this box if you want to be notified via email when someone replies to your post.

Create Your Own Free Message Board or Free Forum!
Hosted By Boards2Go Copyright © 2000-2015
Our Sites: Wedding address collection  Wedding thank you wording