Beach Boys Britain
Brian Wilson at Tanglewood, Lenox, Massachusetts, June 19, 2016

Tanglewood - established in the mid 1930’s is the summer home of the Boston Symphony Orchestra/Boston Pops and various performing guests. It is located in the town of Lenox, Massachusetts, in the Berkshires, in the western section, not far from New York. The first three concerts were performed in the summer of 1936 under a large tent that sheltered 15,000 people. The “building" is a seasonally-used covered structure which shelters the stage and those who are seated under the structure.

Many, though come with lawn/beach chairs/blankets and purchase lawn seats and are regular attendees. A sign of the times we are living in…both at Friday's performance in Symphony Hall, we needed to open up our bags and were “wanded" with a metal detector. Frankly, it was a relief that our security was a priority.

Under Russian native, Serge Koussevitsky, who unionized the orchestra, Tanglewood ( named for a tree with “tangled wood”) developed the amalgam of the best of contemporary European and American music. It is significant because it is the partner of Boston Symphony Hall where Brian Wilson performed on Pet Sounds Day, June 17, 2016.

Sound check…the take away…Blondie on lead for Funky Pretty! OMG! The rest is a blur.

And the setlist…shared by Blondie Chaplin, and Al Jardine…my thanks.

Our Prayer

Heroes and Villains

River Deep to intro California Girls

Dance, Dance, Dance

You’re So Good To Me (on the flip side of Sloop John B)

In My Room

Surfer Girl

Don’t Worry Baby - Matt Jardine on lead

Wake the World - Al on lead…great early version on Live in London, 1969, and written by Brian Wilson and Al Jardine.

Add Some Music to Your Day

One Kind of Love - (unconditional) - profound “birthday boy” - Brian lead, written for Melinda and featured in the Love and Mercy film as well as on No Pier Pressure.

I Get Around

Wild Honey - Blondie again rocked out an extended version wowing the crowd

Sail on Sailor - Blondie again rounding out the “hatrick" - three scores, on extended version, as Brian departed for intermission and gave him a time to shine on stage.

Intermission

Wouldn’t It Be Nice - Matt on lead

You Still Believe in Me

That’s Not Me

Don’t Talk (Put your head on my shoulder)

I’m Waiting For the Day

Let’s Go Away for Awhile - instrumental showcasing each player’s musicianship.

Sloop John B - Al, who floated the concept with Brian to include the old Bahamian folk song, on lead, of course. Sparkling.

God Only Knows - Paul McCartney’s favorite song.

I Know There’s an Answer - formerly the “too-lofty” (Al) - Hang On to Your Ego - these lyrics work for me. Al on banjo.

Here Today

I Just Wasn’t Made for These Times

Pet Sounds - Blondie was a vision with a tambourine, as well as Mike D’Amico, Paul Von Mertens on sax, clarinet, flute, etc, Nelson (whom I could not see but hear) Probyn Gregory (on French Horn, theremin and trumpet) “Wonderful" Nicky Walusko - wailing guitar, Bob Lizik on bass, and Billy Hinsche sharing keyboard duties with Gary Griffin on marimba and xylophone.

Caroline No, and the train/whistle/barking dogs album closeout.

At the encore, Paul von Mertens intro’d each band member with his credentials and a hug as they returned for the encore. By that time the customarily reserved audience was on their feet for the final “party."

Good Vibrations

All Summer Long

Help Me Rhonda - Al on lead

Barbara Ann

Surfin’ USA

Fun, Fun, Fun

Love and Mercy - “a lot of people getting shot and it’s just not fair” - referencing the recent Orlando catastrophe. And the strains of Rhapsody in Blue to close out.

Today is the first day of summer in the USA, the summer solstice, when the earth tilts on it’s axis, in either the northern or southern hemisphere, and our longest day of daylight in the year. It must have been ordained that Brian Wilson would be born on this day, as his oneiric (dream-like) compositions can transport us, in the deadness of winter to a warm and soft breeze, a sparkling ocean spray, and the sensation of damp sand-caked feet in a measure of music.

God Bless and good health. Happy Birthday, Brian. Boy, do we love you.

Replies:

You must register before you can post on this board. You can register here.

Post a reply:
Username:
Password:
Email:
Subject:
bold italic underline left align right align center align url email image move quote horizontal rule

Link Name:
Link URL:
Image URL:

Create Your Own Free Message Board or Free Forum!
Hosted By Boards2Go Copyright © 2000-2018  Wedding thank you wording