Beach Boys Britain
Boston's Wilbur Theater, July 9, 2016

Boston's Wilbur Theater opened in 1914, as the first Boston theater to depart from the European-style of architecture, and take it’s inspiration from the American Colonial style. It has been hosting music and theater since that time.

It lies in an historic theater district, among about a half-dozen theaters and experienced refurbishment in 2008. Yesterday, The Beach Boys played two shows there and the final for John Stamos of his five-show run. I so enjoyed his intro’s for God Only Knows and his impressions that the music is great refreshment from these cataclysmic events taking place in our time.

Stamos demonstrated great and reflexively instinctive kindness to some very lucky and courageous young and challenged people, a measure of greatness in a human. I never would have imagined this aspiring young break-out actor on my favorite soap opera, General Hospital would guest perform with my favorite band and prove himself as a musician, but also as a remarkable human being.

The setlists…from Mr. Johnston and Mr. Bracken. Merci beaucoup!

Surfin’ Safari
Catch A Wave
Do It Again
Surf City
Surfin’ USA

Surfer Girl

Summer in Paradise - video by Noven Jaisi, from Malaysia, promoting Water Health International, via a silk/cotton blended scarf/shawl printed in English and Hindi. The scarf is loomed by hand in Maheswar, India and block printed by hand. The campaign is to advance clean water access to improve quality-of-life issues. There is a media campaign called #TieOneOn. And the website is www.waterhealth.com

So Young - Ike (second show only)

Why Do Fools Fall in Love
When I Grow Up to be a Man
Darlin’ - Mr. Faust

Be True to Your School - a still of Patriots champ Tom Brady with Mike during the Best Buddies Campaign fundraiser held in June on Cape Cod. Very cool, indeed.

In My Room
Don’t Worry Baby
Little Deuce Coupe
4-0-9
Shut Down
I Get Around

Pet Sounds Film backing the instrumental track - collage-style stills and some clips during the Pet Sounds era, Vietnam, Woodstock and some stills superimposed through the “Eyes of Brian" (Wilson, of course) - extremely well done, and demonstrating the seriousness of the subject matter backdropped by the music.

(second show only - Their Heart Were Full of Spring - in this acoustically gifted venue)

Here Today - studio perfect Cowsill on drums, and great keys, as always by Mr. Tim Bonhomme!

You Still Believe in Me - Ike

Sloop John B - with the flute of Randy Leago

(second show only - I’m Waiting for the Day - Musical Director and Boston’s Berklee College of Music grad, Scott Totten)

Wouldn’t It Be Nice

California Dreamin’ - Mr. Cowsill on lead - or as Stamos called him - the best looking teenage idol. (or some form of that concept.)

California Girls - Massachusetts girls!

Caroline, No - Mr. Foskett (second show only)

God Only Knows - intro’d by Stamos

Pisces Brothers - George Harrison tribute

Forever - Stamos-promoted treasure of Dennis’ classic with a snapshot of a bare-chested (yes!) Dennis Wilson from Two-Lane Blacktop, a 1971 cult classic where Dennis starred with fellow singer-songwriter James Taylor; a time capsule of U.S. Route 66. This film was selected for preservation in the US National Film Registry by the Library of Congress as being “culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant.”

Do You Wanna Dance - Dennis on B + W film, doing the lead.

Rock and Roll Music
All Summer Long - (second show only)
Help Me Rhonda

Kokomo - Stamos on congas in the original video footage from 1988, where Mike and Carl shared the lead.

Good Vibrations - 50th anniversary - on the merchandise table are hoodies and t-shirts bearing a graphic old classic hippie era VW van - with the peace symbol and for GV 50th - from 1966!

Encore
Barbara Ann - a couple of very lucky guys invited by Stamos to join him, during both shows, the second, a long-time good friend, now in high school, was semi-pulled up onstage by John Stamos, “playing" Stamos’ guitar, in that Kodak moment, to everyone’s delight.

Fun, Fun, Fun

Boston may not have year-round California weather but dearly loves The Beach Boys. We had the enhanced Pet Sounds setlist this run to commemorate the 50th. I bought my first album, which was the great Pet Sounds at the Jordan Marsh Company record department with babysitting money. $3.00, and still have it, held together by yellowed masking tape, a great treasure. Please don’t stay away long…and do bring "Blackie Parrish" from General Hospital, with you when you return.

Replies:
There have been no replies.

You must register before you can post on this board. You can register here.

Post a reply:
Username:
Password:
Email:
Subject:
bold italic underline left align right align center align url email image move quote horizontal rule

Link Name:
Link URL:
Image URL:

Create Your Own Free Message Board or Free Forum!
Hosted By Boards2Go Copyright © 2000-2018  Wedding thank you wording