Derek Harrison's Crossword Message Board

Please do not discuss (or even mention) current puzzles until after the solution is published. The moderators reserve the right to delete messages which do not have a valid Email address.

Message Board Rules

Round Robin
IP: 95.63.108.21

Towser has kindly donated a grid which Derek has suggested we use in a round robin puzzle, and which we hope to use as a prize puzzle in the autumn. Please drop me an email if you would like to be part of it and write a clue. As usual solvers will be asked to nominate their favourite clue and the person whose clue receives the most nominations will be awarded a prize.

You will be given a word to clue plus a letter and there are two ways you might be asked to deal with the letter:

…Across clues will have an extra letter in the wordplay part of the clue. The letter that you are given must be inserted in the wordplay, but crucially there must be a real word left when it is removed, and the clue shouldn’t work with it in. The surface needn’t make sense after the letter is removed. An example of one of mine from an earlier puzzle on here is ‘Scots nap at large without linen’. The clue has an extra N and the last word should be ‘line’. The answer is OOSE which is LOOSE without L.

…Down clues will have a misprinted definition and it is the discarded letters which are of interest in this puzzle, not, as is more commonly the case, the corrections. (I am not giving anything away in saying that the discarded letters will be used in the endgame.) Say you are given BANGER to clue and told your letter is B, you would need to use a definition like ‘Decrepit old bar’ for ‘…car’ so that a B is discarded when the misprint is corrected. (I have been through all the words and letters which will be allocated in down clues, changing grid entries as necessary, to ensure that I at least would be happy writing a clue with the combination of word and letter for each. Undoubtedly though, some will offer more alternatives than others, but that is the luck of the draw.)

I intend to allocate words in grid order as they are requested, alternating between across and down entries, However, should you prefer one particular type of clue, then in Countdown fashion just say ‘One from across/down, John’ and provided there is one of the ones you want still available I will be happy to oblige.

I don’t have a set deadline but it would be good if I could receive your clues within the next two or three weeks.

I think that it is going to be a really nice puzzle, so please don’t miss your chance to be a part of it.

Thanks very much and I look forward to hearing from you.

Best
John

Replies:

Post a reply:
Name:
Email:
Subject:
Link URL:
Image URL:
Check this box if you want to be notified via email when someone replies to your post.

Create Your Own Free Message Board or Free Forum!
Hosted By Boards2Go Copyright © 2000-2015
Our Sites: Wedding address collection  Wedding thank you wording