Derek Harrison's Crossword Message Board

Please do not discuss (or even mention) current puzzles until after the solution is published. The moderators reserve the right to delete messages which do not have a valid Email address.

Message Board Rules

More pet peeves
IP: 109.149.203.163

Following on from John's pet peeves thread below, a current peeve of mine (related to John's) is the over-reliance on the 'wordplay leads to the answer and an additional letter' gimmick in clues.

I use this myself sometimes, but on checking recent EV submissions I've received, I see that 21 out of the last 30 puzzles that have landed in my inbox have used this method of generating a message from clues. Without wishing to dissuade setters from sending puzzles that use this gimmick, there does seem to be an over-reliance on it. What happened to misprinted definitions, letters latent, additional letters that need to be removed before solving... and what happened to puzzles where clues are plain and have no gimmick at all? They are still out there, but they seem increasingly rare.

Replies:

Post a reply:
Name:
Email:
Subject:
Link URL:
Image URL:
Check this box if you want to be notified via email when someone replies to your post.

Create Your Own Free Message Board or Free Forum!
Hosted By Boards2Go Copyright © 2000-2015
Our Sites: Wedding address collection  Wedding thank you wording