Beach Boys Britain
Woodstock - The Beach Boys at Bethel, New York - July 15, 2016

Beach Boys at Woodstock! (Bethel, NY) July 15, 2016

Many travel to Woodstock, just to see the Woodstock Museum. It almost defies logic that this 60-ish music, anti-war, race and gender equality era movements, which embodied the essence of youth would cater to those approaching or in retirement and their progeny. But, it does. Max Yasgur’s farm, the site of the festival which, became a public charity under 501(c)(3) regulations and also hosted The Beach Boys for C50 which was similarly people-packed end-to-end.

The museum, on two levels is a time-capsule and freeze frame of the festival, engaging K-12 education, engaging local schools via field trips “Exploring the 60’s.” They also explore the connections among music, civil rights and the anti-war movement.

It is doubtful that the thousands of young people who attended Woodstock could have envisioned that a museum and all purpose outdoor venue would rise from the mud, and wear-and-tear caused to the land of the festival off Route 17 in Bethel or that it would function as an historic tribute to the event.

In the museum at the lower level are music clips from the festival, glass-walled exhibits featuring the fashion (and yes, Twiggy) influence, a rainbow VW bug, a similarly detailed school bus, where visitors can walk in, sit down and enjoy Woodstock film clips, floor to ceiling photography of the festival goers, and walls featuring the LP’s and Woodstock setlists of the performers, including John Sebastian, Santana, Country Joe McDonald, Joan Baez, Sha Na Na, Crosby, Stills, Nash, Blood, Sweat & Tears, Jefferson Airplane, The Who, Sly and the Family Stone, Richie Havens, Janis Joplin, Grateful Dead, etc. It was the Class of 1969.

Of course, I checked out the video to be sure how well "Our Guys" were covered, after hearing strains of Pet Sounds around the corner. And it was featured as one of the great highlights the era, tracing the early surf/car era to post Beatles era. A very familiar Pet Sounds LP cover will make you feel right at home.

Last night they hosted a twin-bill of The Temptations, whom I had not seen since college, and the Touring Band. Thousands could be seen pouring down the walkway to the venue, whether the expansive lawn area or the seated outdoor theater.

And the setlist from the lovely Tara…

Surfin’ Safari
Catch a Wave
Hawaii

Do It Again
Surf City
Surfin’ USA

Surfer Girl - Ambha Love danced with dad, Mike.

Good To My Baby
Why Do Fools Fall in Love

Darlin’ - Jeff on lead.
Be True to Your School

In My Room

Don’t Worry Baby
LIttle Deuce Coupe
4-0-9
Shut Down
I Get Around

Summer In Paradise - with video and WaterHealthInternational where 100% of an Indian woven shawl/scarf sale is directed and available at the merchandise table.

California Dreamin’ - John Cowsill on lead
California Girls

Pet Sounds - with film of the era - fitting right in with the Woodstock Museum/venue.

I’m Waiting for the Day - Mr. Totten on capable lead. Cowsill on percussion.

You Still Believe in Me - Ike on lead

Sloop John B - Mr. Johnston

Wouldn’t It Be Nice

God Only Knows - Carl Wilson, Knebworth video, on lead, with the band facing the screen.

Pisces Brothers - another late 60’s snapshot integrating two of the biggest rock bands in history.

Sail on Sailor - a poised, confident and grown-up Ambha Love, on lead. Great job!

Do You Wanna Dance - Dennis Wilson’s enthusiasm brought to new generations, via the black and white videos.

All Summer Long
Help Me Rhonda

Kokomo
Good Vibrations - 50th Birthday!

Encore
Barbara Ann
Fun, Fun, Fun - Cowsill's Fireworks Finale!

A visit to the Woodstock museum is a must see, if one finds oneself in driving range. Coupled with a live performance, all the better. And, not far from the venue is my #1 rated American Diner - Tilly’s - a photographic trip through the past 60 years, with black and white photos of a multitude of movies stars including Shirley Temple, album covers (yes, the first BB concert album) next to a poster of The Beatles at Shea Stadium in 1965, and "Elvis" cafe curtains.

Woodstock loved The Beach Boys. Thanks for a great show in such an historic venue.

Replies:

You must register before you can post on this board. You can register here.

Post a reply:
Username:
Password:
Email:
Subject:
bold italic underline left align right align center align url email image move quote horizontal rule

Link Name:
Link URL:
Image URL:

Create Your Own Free Message Board or Free Forum!
Hosted By Boards2Go Copyright © 2000-2018  Wedding thank you wording