Derek Harrison's Crossword Message Board

Please do not discuss (or even mention) current puzzles until after the solution is published. The moderators reserve the right to delete messages which do not have a valid Email address.

Message Board Rules

Is there a linguistic historian in the house?
IP: 82.16.60.146

Some people are linguistic conservatives. Show them a mistake, or an ugly or lazy neologism and they see it as evidence that the language is being dumbed down, buggered up and sent to hell in a handcart.

Some people are linguistic liberals. They eagerly point out that a language is a living, dynamic thing. If the language is to keep up with a changing world, it has to change, they say. And it cannot do that if it is being shackled by self-appointed guardians of literacy.

I don't want to attempt to choose between the two approaches. (Although I do find myself being increasingly drawn, with age, into the conservative camp.) But I would like to say to each side: show me your evidence. Has there ever been a historical situation where a community took a linguistic approach which was later seen to be excessively liberal, and which led to bad things happening? And the other way round. Has there been a case where historians now judge that an excessively conservative approach led, eventually, to unfortunate consequences?

Can anyone help?

Replies:

Post a reply:
Name:
Email:
Subject:
Link URL:
Image URL:
Check this box if you want to be notified via email when someone replies to your post.

Create Your Own Free Message Board or Free Forum!
Hosted By Boards2Go Copyright © 2000-2015
Our Sites: Wedding address collection  Wedding thank you wording