Derek Harrison's Crossword Message Board

Please do not discuss (or even mention) current puzzles until after the solution is published. The moderators reserve the right to delete messages which do not have a valid Email address.

Message Board Rules

Re(4): Listener No. 4407: Ad Nauseam by Chalicea
IP: 86.158.33.39

I fell into the same trap, finding Paul Gough's quotation about Paul Nash:

"Of all British artists of the last century, Paul Nash is perhaps the one most readily associated with the sanctity and loveliness of trees."

With the rare word "loveliness" matching the preamble exactly I looked no further, despite wondering about the relevance of "billboard". Perhaps I should have tried "billboard" in the index of the ODQ, but I have seldom found this useful. (Here "billboard" or "tree" would have got it, but "lovely" wouldn't.) In fact I didn't, so it was a strange PDM when I found out. Thanks to Chalicea for the card.

I had heard Ogden Nash's quotation before and it fits the puzzle much better, but it appears that the quotation about Paul Nash was enough for a solution.

I wonder if there is any link between the two. Paul Nash was painting for over 20 years before Ogden Nash's quotation. Paul Gough's quotation was much later, and it is quite possible that the Ogden Nash quote led to the use of "loveliness".

Replies:

Post a reply:
Name:
Email:
Subject:
Link URL:
Image URL:
Check this box if you want to be notified via email when someone replies to your post.

Create Your Own Free Message Board or Free Forum!
Hosted By Boards2Go Copyright © 2000-2015
Our Sites: Wedding address collection  Wedding thank you wording