Whortleberry Press
Film review: "Genius"

The film "Genius" has gotten some very mixed reviews. It's about a book editor (you can see why it was on my "must see" list) of the 1920s. His name was Maxwell Perkins, and we have him to thank for bringing us the fiction of Ernest Hemingway, F. Scott Fitzgerald and Thomas Wolfe.
The film shows what a pain Wolfe was to work with -- which he was -- but Perkins could see his genius, as well as Hemingway's and Fitzgerald's.
This film has gotten some awful reviews. I think they were written by people too young to know what those names once meant to American literature. When I was in college (aeons ago) those guys were still gods of the printed page,and I offer up thanks to Max Perkins' spirit for wringing those books out of them.
Imagine, Wolfe would bring in his thousand-page manuscripts, just pages piled into a cardboard box -- I'm not sure he even numbered the pages. But if you ever read "Of Time and the River" you can see why Perkins slogged his way through the job.
Have you seen this film? What did you think of it?

-- Jean

Replies:

Post a reply:
Name:
Email:
Subject:
bold italic underline left align right align center align url email image move quote horizontal rule

Link Name:
Link URL:
Image URL:
Check this box if you want to be notified via email when someone replies to your post.

Looking for a good book? Find it here!
Create Your Own Free Message Board or Free Forum!
Hosted By Boards2Go Copyright © 2000-2015
Our Sites: Wedding address collection  Wedding thank you wording