Welcome to mrjeffrey.com's Message Board. Beginning on March 19, 2009, you must post your first and last name, as well as the school you attend or for which you teach in order to use this message board. Otherwise, your post will be deleted. :)
Deep Thoughts
IP: 71.236.113.153

I believe that beliefs in opposition to common values should not be illegal. I believe that beliefs in opposition to common values should not be illegal because everyone has a right to their own opinion, the common values presented could be immoral or unjust, and a difference in opinions can always lead to discussion and improvements in a society. My personal belief is that I do not feel that there is specifically a right and wrong belief for anything, only a way that is accepted as right.
First off, I believe that beliefs in opposition to common values should not be illegal because everyone has a right to their own opinion. I feel that everyone should be allowed to believe in what they feel is right, even if it opposes the values of the population that they are a part of. My justification for this is everyone has their own values, so who has the right to say which ones are right and wrong. If those with the less accepted morals can live with those with the widely accepted beliefs, how is it fair to not allow their views to not exist just because they arenít as popular. To me it just seems like the right thing to do, but some people might not be as accepting of different ideals and would not agree.
Furthermore, I believe that beliefs in opposition to common values should not be illegal because the common values presented could be immoral and unjust. To me, such a law that makes it illegal to not believe in something that the majority of people share is a dangerous one. For example, what if a society has morals that are not necessarily correct, the illegal views to have would be the moral ones. If such an event took place where the accepted ideals of a group of people were evil and impure, many innocent people would be punished for being upright beings.
Finally, I believe that beliefs in opposition to common values should not be illegal because a difference in opinions can lead to discussion and improvements in a society. I feel that the way to learn and improve ourselves as a whole is through learning and understanding. A culture where it was not accepted to allow unpopular ideals to exist would be an unprosperous one in my opinion. I feel this is true because the society would not be able to learn from those with differences in beliefs and would flatline very quickly and would certainly not be a success story.
To conclude, I believe that beliefs in opposition to common values should not be illegal. I believe that beliefs in opposition to common values should not be illegal because everyone has a right to their own opinion, the common value could be wrong, and a difference in opinions can lead to discussion and improvements in a society. After writing about this, I have decided that a law subduing the unpopular values in a population would not have any positive effect on the culture and only act as a way to control the people it applied to.

Replies:

Post a reply:
Name:
Email:
Subject:
Link URL:
Image URL:
Check this box if you want to be notified via email when someone replies to your post.

Create Your Own Free Message Board or Free Forum!
Hosted By Boards2Go Copyright © 2000-2015
Our Sites: Wedding address collection  Wedding thank you wording