Derek Harrison's Crossword Message Board

Please do not discuss (or even mention) current puzzles until after the solution is published. The moderators reserve the right to delete messages which do not have a valid Email address.

Message Board Rules

Re(5): (no subject)
IP: 109.80.120.12

Poor Poat must be having a miserable weekend, with all the adverse comments on various sites about Buried Treasure. I know what it's like to get stick for a puzzle that's taken hours to write, and Poat's puzzle must have taken far more work than anything I've produced. Getting regular unchecked letters to read as a coherent message, a triple acrostic, and all the red herrings - I'm in awe of anyone who can create such a construction. I don't think that should be forgotten in all the controversy about the endgame.

I went for the preamble highlighting for want of anything better, but like many wasted a lot of time hunting around in the grid. Actually I see nothing wrong with the idea of highlighting something in the preamble, in fact it's a rather novel twist - but what a pity that it wasn't signalled in some way, either by some more wording in the preamble or a further acrostic/message (if that were possible). I'm really surprised that someone who test solved the puzzle didn't suggest this.

It didn't bother me too much as I haven't sent in a solution in since 1746, but I can see that those who've had nearly a year of all corrects will not be happy bunnies. I suggest that Poat still deserves praise for an otherwise excellent puzzle, and perhaps a note could be made that in future Listeners requiring highlighting in an unusual place should contain a clear indication of this.

Neil

Replies:

Post a reply:
Name:
Email:
Subject:
Link URL:
Image URL:
Check this box if you want to be notified via email when someone replies to your post.

Create Your Own Free Message Board or Free Forum!
Hosted By Boards2Go Copyright © 2000-2015
Our Sites: Wedding address collection  Wedding thank you wording