Derek Harrison's Crossword Message Board

Please do not discuss (or even mention) current puzzles until after the solution is published. The moderators reserve the right to delete messages which do not have a valid Email address.

Message Board Rules

Re(7): L4422 - from the setter
IP: 101.109.156.183

Chris says above, "I can't help but wonder how much the "cheat's charter" websites are responsible for the unhappiness being displayed by some solvers, by virtue of introducing doubt into the minds of solvers who either a) were previously happy with their highlighting..."

Reading the long thread below and the comments on Answerbank I cannot see much evidence for saying that solvers, originally happy with their highlighting of 'hare' in the preamble, had a change of mind after visiting Answerbank. It looks to me as though people were unhappy from the start. I imagine that many solvers felt as Shirley did as recorded in her blog - she highlighted the preamble hare and submitted her entry fairly convinced that she had been beaten. In that respect Patrick Phair's comment in the main thread below is very pertinent.

In the line of H A R E to which John refers the letters are certainly consecutive along that line since it doesn't pass through other letters. Chambers supports the notion by defining 'consecutive' as 'following in regular order.' Chambers is the primary reference, and therefore applies to preambles as well as clues. The fact is that highlighting H A R E in the grid is at least as valid as highlighting hare in the preamble, and in the view of some, rather more appropriate.

Replies:
There have been no replies.

Post a reply:
Name:
Email:
Subject:
Link URL:
Image URL:
Check this box if you want to be notified via email when someone replies to your post.

Create Your Own Free Message Board or Free Forum!
Hosted By Boards2Go Copyright © 2000-2015
Our Sites: Wedding address collection  Wedding thank you wording