Derek Harrison's Crossword Message Board

Please do not discuss (or even mention) current puzzles until after the solution is published. The moderators reserve the right to delete messages which do not have a valid Email address.

Message Board Rules

Re(7): What is an &lit?
IP: 85.255.233.152

Having had to make the decision in the case of many Ximenes archive clues, I chose the coterminosity rule, but the term is really there to guide the reader in understanding how clue is meant to work, so I allowed & lit. for some borderline cases as well.

In the case of Mick's 'ebriose' clue, I think it's just an error. My 'lit beacons' one is borderline, but if you were to substitute the blank with 'these' I think it would pass the coterminosity test. The 'Mars bar' clue as s interesting. I'd say 'Celebrations' in the sense defined is a brand, singular, but in any case the understood 'it' can be the word itself in the cryptic reading, which is singular.

The main thing is to see '& lit.' as guidance rather than a judgment on the clue.

Replies:

Post a reply:
Name:
Email:
Subject:
Link URL:
Image URL:
Check this box if you want to be notified via email when someone replies to your post.

Create Your Own Free Message Board or Free Forum!
Hosted By Boards2Go Copyright © 2000-2015
Our Sites: Wedding address collection  Wedding thank you wording