Derek Harrison's Crossword Message Board

Please do not discuss (or even mention) current puzzles until after the solution is published. The moderators reserve the right to delete messages which do not have a valid Email address.

Message Board Rules

Re(8): What is an &lit?
IP: 118.210.65.104

The term &lit was coined by Ximenes in His Book - you know - That Book.

Various plodathons loosely based on His approach to cluing have introduced terms such as "partial &lit" and "semi-&lit" to cover clues where the wordplay only uses part of the surface. Ximenes explicitly included those within the meaning of &lit.

Since it is his term surely it's only reasonable to allow his own definition to hold sway.

Some dislike the term altogether and prefer "all-in-one" - maybe they mean that to include only full &lits - I don't know - you'd have to ask them.

The question can obviously be asked: If you're going to allow only partial use of the surface in the wordplay why not allow the other way round - ie full surface for the wordplay but only partial surface for the definition.

I imagine that the thinking is (I've never seen this stated anywhere) that when the full surface can give the definition the clue can be seen as a CD with anything gained from the wordplay reading being just an added bonus - so not subject to any sort of rules.

Replies:

Post a reply:
Name:
Email:
Subject:
Link URL:
Image URL:
Check this box if you want to be notified via email when someone replies to your post.

Create Your Own Free Message Board or Free Forum!
Hosted By Boards2Go Copyright © 2000-2015
Our Sites: Wedding address collection  Wedding thank you wording