Derek Harrison's Crossword Message Board

Please do not discuss (or even mention) current puzzles until after the solution is published. The moderators reserve the right to delete messages which do not have a valid Email address.

Message Board Rules

Re(4): Listener 4434 Addresses by KevGar - Ambiguities
IP: 125.27.55.13

I also enjoyed solving the clues and getting the theme, but, like Steve, I thought the ambiguities in the highlighting a weakness. My first choice of DEIL was the one identified by Steve. Then I saw several HAGGISes and wasn't sure which was intended. It was only when I noticed that the other items were in straight lines that I looked for a straight DEIL, but as Steve says, it had the disadvantage of sharing a cell with UNCO GUID. I spent some time agonizing over the setters's intention. Linearity is not a Listener highlighting requirement, so I don't see that as good basis for resolving the ambiguities. I did come up with two observations to justify my final choice of straight lines, though I think they were accidental rather than intentional. Firstly, the letters at right angles to, or in line with the straight-line choices could be arranged to forrm BURNS. Also, the linear choices all cross AULD LANG SYNE.

Neither of these is a particularly convincing reason, so I think to count Steve's choice for DEIL as wrong would be arbitrary and harsh. Can anyone give me a convincing explanation why Steve's DEIL is demonstrably wrong?

Replies:

Post a reply:
Name:
Email:
Subject:
Link URL:
Image URL:
Check this box if you want to be notified via email when someone replies to your post.

Create Your Own Free Message Board or Free Forum!
Hosted By Boards2Go Copyright © 2000-2015
Our Sites: Wedding address collection  Wedding thank you wording