Beach Boys Britain
Re(3): 40 Years Ago

Steve:
First of all, thanks for your kind words about my wonderful back in the day Grammy evening.

I thought that Leon Russell’s great song "This Masquerade” would have won over the four other songs in the running for the 1976 Grammy Song Of The Year Award. I had a custom made tux made by Manuel Cuevas for the 1977 Grammy Awards telecast. Manuel formerly worked for his father-in-law, Nudie (the famous rodeo tailor), and Manuel had recently opened his own shop just blocks away from Nudie’s shop in North Hollywood. As you know, Manuel moved his company to Nashville and has been very successful there for many years designing amazing clothing.

When I came to Manuel’s shop to pick up my new tux (1977 and wide lapels were again in style!), I saw the great jazz music producer Tommy LiPuma’s name tag for his new custom made tux. I was positive that Tommy would receive at least one Grammy for producing George Benson’s great recording of “This Masquerade” and I wrote him a short note wishing him the best of luck at the upcoming Grammys and then I placed my note in an inside pocket of his tuxedo jacket (FYI: Tommy won for Record of The Year for “This Masquerade”!!!).

Bruce
PS: I have finally been dusting off my song writing hoping I will bring a song or two to life.

Bruce Johnston
Montecito
February 21, 2017

Replies:

You must register before you can post on this board. You can register here.

Post a reply:
Username:
Password:
Email:
Subject:
bold italic underline left align right align center align url email image move quote horizontal rule

Link Name:
Link URL:
Image URL:

Create Your Own Free Message Board or Free Forum!
Hosted By Boards2Go Copyright © 2000-2015
Our Sites: Wedding address collection  Wedding thank you wording