Beach Boys Britain
Colonial Theater, Keene, New Hampshire March 28, 2017

The Beach Boys at The Colonial Theater, Keene, New Hampshire - March 28, 2017

The Colonial Theater in Keene, New Hampshire, in continuous operation for over 90 years, is both small and big at the same time, containing about 900 fixed seats, but drawing performers such as Garrison Keillor, Art Garfunkel and the Monadnock International Film Festival. In operation since 1924, it was renovated in the 1990’s, and named to the New Hampshire State Registry of Historic Places in 2004.

Last night they hosted The Beach Boys. While the driving rain and fog did it’s thing outdoors, inside was only sun, sand and salty California breeze…

The setlist features some deep cuts from the late 60’s and 70’s and some re-working/alternate versions…

Surfin’ Safari
Catch A Wave
It’s OK
Little Honda - complete with the BB’s on video riding them…
Do It Again
Surfin’ USA

Surfer Girl
Wendy
Good To My Baby

Why Do Fools Fall in Love
When I Grow Up to be a Man

Darlin’ (Jeff)

Getcha Back - "Problem Child era” alternate version with video footage from the film and music video.

Be True To Your School - Keene State and UNH (University of New Hampshire!)

Let Him Run Wild
Then I Kissed Her (Ike)
Dance, Dance, Dance

Ballad of Ole Betsy - Musical Director Scott Totten
Don’t Worry Baby
Little Deuce Coupe
4-0-9
Shut Down
I Get Around

Intermission

California Dreamin’ (Rockin John Cowsill)
Sloop John B
Wouldn’t It Be Nice
California Girls - New Hampshire and Boston Girls!

Their Hearts Were Full of Spring - BB quartet - Mike, Bruce, Ike and Scott

God Only Knows - Carl Wilson, under the blue lights on lead.

Disney Girls - from Surf’s Up - Mr. Johnston

I Can Hear Music - Ike

The Warmth of The Sun

Pisces Brothers - Mike’s tribute to George Harrison
Summer in Paradise - message of ecological awareness

Cottonfields! - John Cowsill - a great treat - from 20/20 in 1969 - recorded by Lead Belly in 1940, introduced into the canon of folk music in a 1954 album “Odetta and Larry” (performed by Odetta at the Tin Angel nightclub in San Francisco, and by Harry Belafonte in 1958, "Belafonte Sings the Blues.”

Cottonfields was also covered by The Highwaymen, The New Christy Minstrels, and The Seekers. It was also recorded in French by Petula Clark and Hugues Aufray in 1962. Cottonfields was released as a single in 1970 with "The Nearest Faraway Place" by Bruce Johnston, which can be found on a Youtube from a Paris performance at The Olympia, in vintage black and white video from a tour in 1969.

Do You Wanna Dance? Dennis on lead!
All Summer Long
Help Me Rhonda
Kokomo

Good Vibrations
Barbara Ann
Rock and Roll Music - Tribute to the late great Chuck Berry

Fun Fun Fun - complete with the Fireworks Finale - from Mr. Cowsill

Last night The Colonial Theater in Keene, New Hampshire became "The Nearest Faraway Place" delighting those drenched fans, who braved wind, rain and fog to see The Beach Boys in "ski country." And with those deep cut treats, alongside the classics, they did not leave disappointed as for a couple of hours the music transported them to Cali-for-ni-a.

Replies:

You must register before you can post on this board. You can register here.

Post a reply:
Username:
Password:
Email:
Subject:
bold italic underline left align right align center align url email image move quote horizontal rule

Link Name:
Link URL:
Image URL:

Create Your Own Free Message Board or Free Forum!
Hosted By Boards2Go Copyright © 2000-2015
Our Sites: Wedding address collection  Wedding thank you wording