Derek Harrison's Crossword Message Board

Please do not discuss (or even mention) current puzzles until after the solution is published. The moderators reserve the right to delete messages which do not have a valid Email address.

Message Board Rules

Re(1): Listener No 4440, Nostrum: A Setter's Blog by Mr E
IP: 125.27.58.88

I enjoy reading how puzzle ideas germinate and develop. After reading Mr E's blog I now understand something that puzzled me slightly at the time of solving, namely that the answer to be highlighted in the grid didn't seem connected to the Mad Hatter riddle or the post hoc answer except insofar as it was the answer to an invented riddle. Now I see that the riddle came first and the Lewis Carroll episode was the vehicle for it.
It was a hugely enjoyable challenge, probably the most challenging this year. I've not previously come across the various answers to the Mad Hatter's riddle, and the Huxley one is a gem, worthy of the Mad Hatter himself.

I spotted LEGS as soon as I began to scan the grid, but being of devious mind I thought it was a red herring and looked for something less conventional and madder. In the end I returned to it but it still took me ages to find the C-shaped sea.

The Listener seems to have died a death on this site, but I'll plough on a bit longer before the apathy gets too much for me and I give up. People seem more bothered about ads than crosswords.

Replies:

Post a reply:
Name:
Email:
Subject:
Link URL:
Image URL:
Check this box if you want to be notified via email when someone replies to your post.

Create Your Own Free Message Board or Free Forum!
Hosted By Boards2Go Copyright © 2000-2015
Our Sites: Wedding address collection  Wedding thank you wording