Beach Boys Britain
Re(2): The Beach Boys in Westbury, Long Island, NY, April 2, 2017

Steve - thanks for the kind words. It is a theater in the round where the stage slowly moves, so the audience always has the best-seat-in-the-house. It allows you to see the guys in the back-line and lets them shine as well as the front-liners.

As far as the TV and movie exposure is concerned - I don't think it is factored in enough. If you had or were a kid during the Full House era, you could safely leave your kids in front of the TV (as I did) and make school lunches for the next day or do laundry but stay within earshot and that was the case where my kids called to me that, "The Beach Boys were on Full House with Uncle Jesse."

With Disney, Annette and the Beach genre movies and TV spinoffs, that was another exposure to the music for those children who were not teen-aged or "contemporaries" of the musicians (even Frankie Avalon) who were featured in these movies. So there was a non-traditional "family" movie theater experience that did not line up with being a teen at that time. And you would hear The Girls on The Beach from the movie score, alongside teens buying records, but too young to be that "consumer" that the record companies were courting. And these movies are repeated over and over on TV, after the release of the movies in the theaters had expended their shelf-lives.

Nick at Nite (as well as other networks) still show Full House so the Beach Boys get to be 40ish again and the Disney channel broadcasts those old beach genre movies, where Annette is still a teen dancing and singing "The Monkey's Uncle." And these movies and tv shows have been dubbed in multiple languages and are in global syndication.

In the grand scheme of things it is an area that has been greatly overlooked by the purists who expound on music and/or who aren't seeing this other means of infiltration into other strong and consistently-aired media because they don't have children or aren't around young children, observing their viewing habits and how they relate to music choices later on or who dismiss it as not being high-minded enough to incorporate into a more complete analysis. But surely the advertisers know their audiences and place ads accordingly. Wikipedia has a pretty extensive graph of where these shows have been dubbed into the countries respective languages or subtitled and aired.

The Westbury (as other audiences) were full of Full House BB converts. When I see the band, the first thing my kids ask is "Did you see Stamos?" He helped make them cool for kids from the late 70's and 80's. (That is my own very unscientific testing lab.) And, although they were duly-brainwashed, they made their own connection; independently, when they saw Full House, MTV and VH1 as well with The Fat Boys or the other videos such as Problem Child or Kokomo from the (Adult Drink) movie with Tom Cruise.

The site removed the correct title of the movie so I improvised)

Replies:

You must register before you can post on this board. You can register here.

Post a reply:
Username:
Password:
Email:
Subject:
bold italic underline left align right align center align url email image move quote horizontal rule

Link Name:
Link URL:
Image URL:

Create Your Own Free Message Board or Free Forum!
Hosted By Boards2Go Copyright © 2000-2015
Our Sites: Wedding address collection  Wedding thank you wording