Beach Boys Britain
Brian Wilson - Pet Sounds, Lynn, Massachusetts, April 29, 2017,

Brian Wilson - Pet Sounds Tour - Lynn Auditorium, Lynn, Massachusetts - April 29, 2017

The tour name of Final Tour of Pet Sounds is a contradiction. So long as oneís heart is still beating and open to hear one's own heartbeat, that 1966 work is going nowhere. Since this music loverís must-have appeared in the LP racks in the Spring of 1966, it has drawn likely five generations of fans who maybe opened the door to the BB music via God Only Knows or Wouldnít it Be Nice in a movie, then just had to have it all to listen on an LP, cassette, 8-track, CD, mp3, or in a released box set with The Pet Sounds Sessions (my favorite after my old vinyl from 1966.) Pet Sounds will never be the same old - same old in terms of finality. It is in the Circle of Life.

There is real merit in a themed-based performance and we are seeing it in both bands, highlighting specific work, some less well-known encouraging new examination of the BB corpus from the live context.

So long as Brian can get behind a keyboard, and getting there is his challenge, not unlike many rockers in their 70ís, who cherish the live music delivery context and who go the extra mile to make it happen. Brian reminds me of his brother Carl, overcoming hurdles to perform live when doing poorly. Courage runs in the entire Wilson family.

Brian was in the center of the stage (Yay!) where all could see from every direction, and to Brian's right were Gary Griffin and Billy Hinsche, masterfully rounding out the keys section, providing every nuanced effect of the studio.

Thanks to Musical Director, Paul Von Mertens, for the setlistÖ

California Girls
Dance, Dance, Dance
I Get Around - yes Brian - you certainly do!
Shut Down
Little Deuce Coupe
Little Honda
Help Me, Rhonda - Al Jardine on the Number #1 hit single! And in his rocking white suit!

Salt Lake City
Surfer Girl

Wake the World (can be heard in a live context on Live in London) Al sounding like a teen!
Add Some Music (to your day!)

California Saga

Donít Worry Baby - Matt Jardine - got the first Standing Ovation of the night! During Musical Director's Paul von Mertens band intro - he said that when Matt was going to work in the band, he had to ďaudition like everyone else.Ē Pedigree aside, he did an outstanding job.

Let Him Run Wild

Feel Flows - Blondie Chaplin - on lead, original Carl Wilson lead on Surfís Up - and has been used in media, in a 1972 Surfing documentary called "Five Summer Stories" and "Almost Famous" by Cameron Crowe. Great to be in the setlist!

Wild Honey - happy 50th - Blondie on lead!

Sail On Sailor - during Alís intro, he talked about the BB band, meeting Blondie and his bandmates during the Holland era, and, while Blondie did the lead, it was under "Carlís blue lights.Ē SOS - also featured on film scores, such as The Departed.

Intermission

Pet Sounds

Wouldnít it Be Nice
You Still Believe in Me
Thatís Not Me
Donít Talk (Put Your Head on my Shoulder)
Iím Waiting for the Day
Letís Go Away for a While
Sloop John B

God Only Knows - under Carlís blue lights
I Know Thereís and Answer
Here Today
I Just Wasnít Made for These Times
Pet Sounds
Caroline, No

Good Vibrations
Barbara Ann
Surfiní USA
Fun, Fun, Fun
Love and Mercy

Probyn Gregory and Nelson Bragg New England natives. Probyn from Keene, NH, where the BBís performed very recently and, Nelson, from the Cape Ann area (beautiful Rockport/Gloucester coast) and gave an appreciative shout-out to his arts/music programs that help carve out his music pathway that eventually brought him to Brianís band (and C50 work.) Having been in teaching, itís always very much appreciated to make that connection from educational programs to career paths. Thanks, Nelson - so classy!

Lynn, Mass. loved this show!

Replies:

You must register before you can post on this board. You can register here.

Post a reply:
Username:
Password:
Email:
Subject:
bold italic underline left align right align center align url email image move quote horizontal rule

Link Name:
Link URL:
Image URL:

Create Your Own Free Message Board or Free Forum!
Hosted By Boards2Go Copyright © 2000-2015
Our Sites: Wedding address collection  Wedding thank you wording